Not exactly game related but

If you feel up to doing your own in game movies and want to have car crashes or collapsing buildings and all u could afford is blender then take look at these gifs of a demolition script being developed for blender

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=945834#post945834  just thought it was damn amazing myself…there are other gifs throughout the thread

Looks cool, but pretty unrealistic. The entire model on all of the examples is treated exactly the same way so if you look at the car the wheel is all bashed up but not realistically.

I guess for "cheap effects" it would probably be perfect though. 

i can't wait to see those realistic effects in GB!  :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah I agree, the guy is actually trying to find efficient ways to make different parts, materials and whatnot, react differently, realistically to whatever situation, I think in general though that the  weird look of the tearing has more to do with the amount a articulation or lack thereof in the model car in particular.

its a work progress though but still one hell of a step up for blender imho.

sfera said:

i can't wait to see those realistic effects in GB!  :P

In the future we will use non-collapsible materials...under serious stress materials simply explode. ;)

mcbeth said:

yeah I agree, the guy is actually trying to find efficient ways to make different parts, materials and whatnot, react differently, realistically to whatever situation, I think in general though that the  weird look of the tearing has more to do with the amount a articulation or lack thereof in the model car in particular.

its a work progress though but still one hell of a step up for blender imho.

Agreed, it's a very good step forward, it just doesn't seem like it would be that complicated to implement even in jME-Physics by providing some sort of collisions to mesh crush algorithm...not sure if the physics mesh can be modified very easily on the fly though.  I've really considered playing around with this but it's just not useful for anything I'm doing.  I started working on a similar idea a long time ago with the idea of explosions making craters in terrain so the ground terrain would actually change in a combat field as you shoot it or things blow up near it...never really got very far though since I abandoned my first-person shooter game entirely.  :P