(November 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

nice!!

Even more awesomer.

4 Likes

Yeah, I mean, it was pretty awesome beforeā€¦ definitely a step up now.

Edit: actually, to be honest, I really liked the crystal ice star things in the original. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those things wasnā€™t looks so nice in motion.
I have 600ms to show something powerful enough to harm player. The last version definitely did the job. Soon Iā€™ll show some gifs.

15 Likes

Solved the flickering particles with cull hints :smile:
=> learned something new

Since you use deferred shading you could add a yellow point light on the skeleton to light the room with the effect.
Iā€™d expect this kind of fire burst to completely illuminate the room.

There is one light for every AoE but maybe I need to give it more ā€˜powerā€™ for this particular effect.

1 Like

Yes I think so.

Maybe instead of a light you could fake it with a screen filter. It could be easily re-used for effect all over the place, not just for color-washing. The electric effect could put some noise or jitter lines like on old TVs

No, Skullstone is fantasy, not SF. Such effect would be nice for android/bot player with damaged camera.

There is no need to fake the light. Another light costs me nothing. Even some monsters have special non-shadow-casting point lights attached to their skeletons.

Tis a beautiful game :slight_smile:

Hi,

After long silence, SkyHussars R11 is out now. One of the big tasks that I did, that I rewrote the physics code. It is still far from realistic, but at least it is stable and working for now. The other 2 big task was that I wired in the first instrument and that I added simple simulations to the plane editor. I had some very hard working months, and I had limited time for this side project, but I think the new physics is quite good. The bad part is that some really nasty bugs are present in this release, falling AI planes and selfdestructing guns for example :smiley:

New features:

• New, slightly more accurate flight model
  • Bullet updates are independent of framerate
  • AOA is displayed on UI
  • Airspeed Indicator is added to the cockpit
  • PlaneEditor has Speed, Height ad AOA simulation
  • Small graphical enhancements, bugfixes etcā€¦

New bugs:

• Physics is not enabled for AI planes
  • Shooting bullets can selfdestruct the plane
  • Reset does not reset plane to original condition

Please see the release video and github link below:

10 Likes

How to setup a party in space? You have to planet.

So I found an odd color conversion that lets you set hue in glsl. That ought to come in handy for many procedural things.

The rest is a 1D texture, mapped around a sphere and the texcoords being offset by two noise channels + one for storms with only two texture samples for everything.

Oh and turns out, once you have hue you can set chroma as well, which seems to be saturationā€¦

13 Likes

So in the process of researching things I want in my game I came across a thing that might interest you as well for Gas Giants.

https://smcameron.github.io/space-nerds-in-space/gaseous-giganticus-slides/slideshow.html#1

This guy uses a shader to mimic the cloud movement on a gas giant via some funky particle stuff.

LOVE what youā€™re doing though. Seriously cool stuff.

1 Like

Wow that is pretty amazing, but I really doubt itā€™s viable for actual games. Only calculating the gradient velocity vector should take like 5 texture samples, unless it were somehow precomputed like a normal map perhaps. I mean seriously, his shader is like 1500 lines long.

It did give me a few interesting ideas however :smiley:

Oh completely forgot, hereā€™s the final version of the shields:

Itā€™s simpler than the last one I posted, but itā€™s faster and I think looks just as good. I set it to cap off at 32 different hits for now.

They also change color to the type of weapon impacting them briefly which is a nice touch I think.

25 Likes

Wow, a lot has happened since Iā€™ve been gone. It makes me want to dig my works in progress out from the grave and actually finish them. Itā€™s just classes and work got the best of me :sweat_smile:

Not really a screenshot, but a short video of my work. After my third attempt and seven refactorings later at making a game - man it is a long road with a lot of disappointment on the way - , I am slowly getting to the point that I am actually getting somewhere.

The aim is to create a turn based isometric (with a degree of ā€˜freeā€™ camera rotation) dnd-like RPG.
The last 2 months I got some sort of asset pipeline in place, I can actually create, animate and import models. And I started using an entity framework (thank you Zay-ES) to structure and separate visuals and game logic.

Right now I finished a first very basic AI control for an enemy. It checks for all entities that are in aggro range, filters out the entities it wonā€™t attack, and then picks the one where it has the highest ā€˜hateā€™ value for. Then it just chases the enemy until it is in attack range, or if it loses sight of the enemy, it walks back to itā€™s original location.

10 Likes

Hehehā€¦ that music, though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hereā€™s an effect that appears after clearing a pathway to new zones, its just a combination of 2 particle emitters and a shrinking model I made a long time ago, but Iā€™m hoping to make some cooler effects for all of the other blocked off zones now that Iā€™m finally learning how to write shaders

13 Likes