(November 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

My pc broke not long ago, then I had issues with my internet (old house + powerline adaptors), but all is sorted.

Got my UI from blender to JME (no AA in second shot for various reasons)

Also been working on my modelling

15 Likes

I’ll give that a whirl. Thanks!

@FrozenShade … Poisson? My mind immediately thought that were talking about fish in French… Then I see that it’s a graph distribution thing sorta like a bezier curve? I’m rather confused. lol

Very nice! :smiley:

1 Like

I mean PFCPOISSON
http://javadoc.jmonkeyengine.org/com/jme3/shadow/EdgeFilteringMode.html

1 Like

Oh hey. That makes loads more sense. Didn’t even know that that was a thing!

Thanks!

POISSON is much better than POULET, by the way…

2 Likes

I did quite some work for my first battleground. Now there is a structure in the background which helps you not get lost.

I added as well a bloom filter to make the lights and the particle effects more shiny :wink:
Enjoy :smile:

15 Likes

Still a little bit pre-emptive right now, but it’s getting quite fun. The screenshots show some SDK love, automated updating/building, and protocol-based execution (in this case, viewing all examples with the word “light” in it). The GUI could do with another round of love… Anyway. Progress is progress.

13 Likes

So I picked up Shadron on the latest Steam sale. Gotta say this thing really is ace for prototyping and tweaking shaders.

Anyhow I made this sort of planetary system loading circle thing.

Later tested out in jme as well with some edge fade added (otherwise the aliasing was ghastly) but it doesn’t really fit the game’s gui so it’s shelfed for now.

Raymarching’s always escaped me before and it’s still a bit to wrap my head around, but I’ve managed to make a sort of wobbly perlin noise sphere thing:

It’s insane that you literally have a virtual “camera” location vector with this process and how well stuff turns out looking despite its simplicity.

16 Likes

I made a video of my steering primitives progress since I probably won’t get to work on it again for a while (maybe over Christmas break).

So far so good, though. The basics are working and will allow for lots of tweaking. I’ll cut and paste the video description here for those who don’t care to click through:

I had the week off for Thanksgiving so I was able to do some game coding for the first time in about 7 months. On the agenda: working out some basic AI steering primitives.

For this, I used the “Anarchy Sandbox” app that I wrote for my kids and I to write simple games last year. It’s a nice framework for testing out stuff like this and it’s already setup for networking, simple physics, etc…

“What are steering primitives?” you might ask… here is a good overview: Steering Behaviors For Autonomous Characters

Real AI would use these to move mobs around so that it can concentrate on higher level functions like “where to go” and not worry about “how to get there”.

Still a bunch more work to do but for now this is a decent start. There are one or two more primitives needed (“flee” and “follow path”) before any proper AI work can start. Also, how it prioritizes one primitive over another is not great… probably tons of tweaking to do there.

10 Likes

That Music :slight_smile:

Did you compose it yourself? I remember that you used to compose the soundtracks for Mythruna yourself, didn’t you?

Nah… I looked up “royalty free yakety sax” and this was someone’s knock-off.

…I’d have used better instrumentation. I wish I had time, though. :slight_smile: Apparently there is quite a demand for it. That old Bennie Hill music is perfect for so many things.

Anyway, it’s nice to see that you have gotten some time to work on your games again. Good luck :blush:

1 Like

New location: mine

20 Likes

8 Likes

In the last day of November, I want share my work with you.

Not about jME3. I was practice computer graphics in last two weeks.

I have so mush fun writing a Java software renderer.

from a swing JFrame and Canvas

to 2d points

and 2d lines

and line clip

and 2d triangles

and 3d world transform

and 3d camera

and a FPS camera controller

and back face culling

and 3d rasterization

adn depth buffer

and texture sampling

and alpha test

and blending

and perspective correct interpolation

Next step, I’m going to implements a shader system (in java) and add lights to the scene. :relaxed:

13 Likes

Very refreshing with a new setting!

Woah that is nuts.

I just implemented a Gouraud Shading in Java.

4 Likes

I like the style a lot! Are some of these pillars obstacles that you can collide with?