Today was one of those “code all day but don’t get to see progress until the end” days.
Started building out the new world database stuff and getting it ready for networking. The first part was to make sure that basic visuals would work and then that the world collisions would work.
The bad part of these chains is that there aren’t a lot of phases to test until it’s all together. Then when it doesn’t work you have to work up from first principles. The good thing is that usually the bugs are quite obvious. (Today I feel like I’m reaching a burnout stage because I’ve consistently been passing arguments to constructors and then forgetting to set them to anything… d’oh. Meanwhile I instantly spot other problems. (shrug))
Anyway, mesh is visualized and world mesh is colliding:
Which means this is almost ready to rebuild in a networked environment.
Is it ugly? Yes. I know I can make good looking graphics as I’ve done that. In fact, I spent way too long already perfecting that, etc… This approach is the “it’s easier to add pretty visuals to a solid base then it is to thread a solid base under pretty visuals”. It does mean constantly having to vet my choices.
For example, today I spent 2-3 hours on design of parts I won’t even build… but I didn’t know what parts I would/wouldn’t build until I knew what it would all look like.
This world is generated on the fly from sine waves. I didn’t need a real DB, or IO, etc… just something that supplied data by location. Done!
Step 1: build out the block based libraries just enough to put a game engine together (almost done)
Step 2: build a set of networked game engine components all tied together in a test app (start that tomorrow)
Then instead of adding textures, lighting, AO, etc., etc. and spending 8 hours one night tweaking the color of fire… we’ll get to AI first. Then character animation.
Save the fun stuff for last. At least that’s the plan.
The other benefit of that plan is that all of the starting steps are open source material. Once it starts getting Mythruna-specific then that new stuff stays private. So everything I’m working on now is prepping for release someday. (Hmm… maybe I should open the kimono, so to speak, for patrons…)