OBJ Import - Object Name

Slightly annoying, but not a killer this one. I am noticing that the OBJ import doesn’t seem to include the object names when I export it from Blender. The “.obj” file has the name, but JME3 seems to call it “xxx-geom-y” where xxx is the name of the file, and y is an incremental number.

Not a show-stopper right now, but I was trying to create a dummy pivot point for some of my objects, and it would also be good to have some sort of naming reference to work with.

Thanks

Richard

Convert the files to .j3o, then edit the names in the sceneComposer.

@beniboy said:
Convert the files to .j3o, then edit the names in the sceneComposer.

Hmmm... Yeah... But you're still fishing around to match the names against the index id's at some point.

Looking at the OBJLoader source, this doesn't look too complicated actually (even for somebody with my limited brain capacity!). The obj format is pretty straightforward, and the parser is already setup to read other line types, so just a case of capturing the line with the mesh name.

I'm going to take a stab at it, but first, I need to fix this bloody pivot rotation issue!

- Richard

The OBJ loader will merge the objects/groups based on material, currently it doesn’t separate by objects/groups. I added an issue in the tracker for this.