Occlusion queries - when will they be implemented?

i found a few threads about occlusion culling, a patch to modifiy the jme source to support it but nothing official. is this feature planned, and if yes, is there a release date?

HamsterofDeath said:

i found a few threads about occlusion culling, a patch to modifiy the jme source to support it but nothing official. is this feature planned, and if yes, is there a release date?

The feature is not planned. Renanse said in another post that the RenderQueue system will be extensible in jME 2.0, allowing user-created queues such as the one I posted. I don't really like this because occlusion queries require render-system specific code which somewhat goes against jME's principles.

Actually, I don't recall saying an occlusion queue would not be added, just that you can make your own in 2.0  (or that was the plan anyhow.)  Also, I also share the opinion that such queries would indeed need to be abstracted out to the renderer level rather than made directly in the queue.

the question is: should i wait until someone does something which i can use, or should i implement occlusion queries myself?

Can we crosslink this with http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=8502.15