(October 2016) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

Well, how 'bout that? :smiley:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101385537/essentia/screens/2/screenshot-2016-10-16_16-19-46.png

Also, we have finally announced the game, you can check out first official video and announcement:

19 Likes

Noice! Imma give you some feedback whether you like it or not :smile:

First the screenshot. The player model is superb and the terrain is great, especially the curved edges. Reminds me of @zzuegg’s Ludus Caelestis.

The ferns look a bit out of place with their bright colors, multiplying their color by itself and by 0.8 yields a much better result imho:

Though looking at the video it’s apparent that this is more of an edge case than the whole game as the foilage usually fits in quite well. The plant edges could still use a lot of AA.

Now the main thing that bothered me about gameplay is the character placement. He is getting in the way of whatever it is you’re doing at any moment and doesn’t serve much purpose. The way to solve that is very simple, just position him more to one side of the screen.
That way you get a more unobstructed view of what you’re doing and can also zoom in a lot more without loosing sight of what’s directly in front of you. I.e. Skyrim 3rd person cam.
I see you have a 1st person view mode too so I suppose it’s not too game breaking.

The camera could also use some more smooth movement so it doesn’t abruptly jerk up and down when the character changes y position but that’s just nitpicking.

Building is good, the side selection strip could use a few extra materials up and down so you see the material you’re looking for.

The draw distance is tiny and looks odd, so try to increase that once you set up a lod switcher for everything.

tl;dr; Darker foilage, more AA, move the camera center from the top of the head to beside the shoulder, smooth camera, more materials to select, larger draw distance. Nice work.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for this feedback :smiley: If you don’t mind, I will reply here.

We are currently working on gamma and shaders: some textures are not final and shading is totally messed up. Everything will be awsum in the end, i hope :smiley:

Character placement and camera movement and controls in general need more work, ofc. It is just a leftover from previous project now, thanks for mentioning - had to give it some time, i guess)

Building interface is kinda just for debug, proper interface is in development.

There is a lods and other optimizations, but it is still pretty heavy now. We aim at 3-5 times farther draw distance in final build as critical feature, at least on high-end computers. Just a bit too focused on features at the time…

I guess, i will create separate topic a bit later…

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see more. :smiley:

For guys who asked for modified SkyControl. Here it is: http://www.filedropper.com/jme3-utilities-masterlast I have used it in 3.1 and 3.2 . And I didn’t create separate topic because I have failed with github (I forked original repository but it seems and didn’t allow me to push commits because my curren’t version wasn’t originally from github). If someone can solve this - it will be okay.
So minor changes: light rebalanced (night became darker, cloud became darker too), clouds can hide sun it affects shadow power, light scaterring and brightness. Sky now placed in transculent bucket (was in Sky bucker) because Sky bucket produces too much bugs if we are talking about scene with lots of transparent objects (forest). So you should add additionaly transculent bucket filter (sample code inside zip).

So, not to be an offtoper, I’ll put this:

Players now can build houses (In future it will be like placing wiremod-prototype and fullfiling it with resources). So soon characters will be able to make villages! And I have replaced traditional hp/mana/stamina bars with hipster-like status icons. They dynamicly vary color from green to red and start blinking if value <10%. We made huge shift toward table-top roleplaying game style so this status manager will be useful to dynamicly add and remove information about diseases, poisonings, stuns, feelings.

10 Likes

That seems wrong. If the forest has transparency then it should be in the transparent bucket and the sky will get rendered before the trees. I suspect something else was wrong and I’m not sure how the translucent bucket can fix it unless your scene setup is really strange.

1 Like

Forest is in the transparent bucket. And sky is rendered before the trees. But it generated ugly blue borders near leaves and other transparent objects. I

From very old build (it is your trees by the way). But problem was the same with other objects later. It was transparent bucket. And setting AlphaDiscardThreshold to 0.99 is not an option. I don’t think my scene is really strange. Just transparent object and SkyControl was enough to produce this bug.

What you are seeing is that some leaves are rendered before the leaves behind them and they are blocking the zbuffer. By moving the sky control you’ve only shifted the problem… instead of rendering the sky around the edge of the leaves you are rendering ‘whatever was in the framebuffer’… maybe black.

If you desire that your leaves have black borders then maybe you can fork the shader to add black borders.

1 Like

Ye, I understand it. But truly speaking, I can’t understand the way you’re advice to solve it. I just found a solution, that visually works for me good without any (very noticable) visual artifacts. And I am satisfied with it. If there was “right” solution I would use it. But I don’t know about it.

…until you have something in your opaque bucket that is bright and behind the tree.

1 Like

And you are saying that black borders is the only solution?

My guess was that that was what you were seeing when you thought it looked ok… because the problem will still exist but if the sky is not rendered then there is a good chance that the view you showed would be showing black borders instead of blue.

…in which case you could modify the shader to mix black into the leaf color based on transparency when not discarded.

Edit: else tweak the discard threshold until the borders are small enough that you don’t mind.

And yes, because it’s a geometry sorting issue… unless you sort all of the leaves every time the camera moves then your options are limited. (And that would be expensive.)

First image shows how it’s looks like now. Maybe there is black borders but eyes (at least my) don’t notice them. But it’s true that it become visible if bright objects located behind.

Could you give any tip how to do it?

Spherical Soft Lit PBR particles, SSLPBRP :

It’s soft particles, that have sphered normals, that are being PRB lit by the environment and are light reactive (the bright green bit is a bright green point light on a drone in the smoke/fog.

15 Likes

Already testing the PS4 and Xbone version I see :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

What are your system specs?

This might need tweaking I’ve only just started with shaders. Make a copy of the Lighting.j3md and put in MatDefs folder, make a copy of Lighting.frag and put in shaders. Edit the Lighting.j3md and change the bit under

Technqiue {

LightMode Multipass

for the fragment shader to

FragmentShader GLSL100: Shaders/Lighting.frag

So it uses your fragment shader. Vert can be left alone.

Then edit the Lighting.frag you put in the Shaders folder. At the very bottom where it is written

gl_FragColor.rgb = ...

Change this to

gl_FragColor.rgb =  AmbientSum       * diffuseColor.rgb  +
                           DiffuseSum.rgb   * diffuseColor.rgb  * vec3(light.x) +
                           SpecularSum2.rgb * specularColor.rgb * vec3(light.y) -
                           (1.0-alpha) * vec3(1,1,1);

The bottom bit gives the black. Then the final line, replace

gl_FragColor.a = alpha;

with

gl_FragColor.a = step(0.01,alpha);

I don’t know exactly what we’re going for here so post a screenshot if it’s messed up (probably) and we can change it easy enough.

1 Like

that’s doesn’t happen to chuck Norris when he is using windows.

i7 930, 6gb RAM, GTX470 (its an old system)

FPS is capped at 30 for video recordings, scene runs at ~ 100fps normally

2 Likes

oh ok, that makes sense