(October 2016) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

You mean like the Malon freighters? Not that bad of an idea actually :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s essentially a gas station chain, like Oyster and both are satire/parodies of their real world equivalents:

The Oyster logo has a blue star that is supposed to be a pearl and is yellow/orange like sand where oysters are usually found. And so is oil.
The Valdezz logo is a water surface where everything that goes through it gets coated in oil. Also shows their two faced nature, almost criminal to get the cheapest resources and on the other hand super nice to any customers. And it’s red to signify the blood of all the animal species extinct by their operations.

Ha. Like analyzing an ancient writer in school class.

These two companies generally won’t have billboards, but I’ll find a way to use that awesome quote :smile:

Hey do you move the smaller stars slower? Having like 2-4 different speeds of stars depending on size looks really good for that type of scene in my experience.

No, I was referring to the later episodes of TNG. There was a scientist who died in order to prove that high warp speeds pollute the environment and cause random zones of “warp failure” after a few years of warp travel with high speeds. So, the starfleet introduced a “speed limit” for warp travel and only in rare cases when there is an important mission, higher warp speeds are allowed.

The Malon where in Voyager right? Might be an idea to introduce such a race too. And btw, what species do you plan to introduce? Is it like Stargate where almost every person is human - or - is it like Star Trek / Star Wars where due to Hollywood restrictions everyone is humanoid except for the few truly alien races? Or are they all of different alien shape? :slight_smile:

1 Like

English: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_limit

German: http://de.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Warp-5-Beschränkung

Oh that thing. Well it wouldn’t make sense for just one company to be blamed for it if literally every ship used warp. Besides at the moment there is no such thing as subspace in the game lore as it works more like a real Alcubierre drive would, which only compresses and extends spacetime.
Subspace messaging is replaced by entangled graviton particle comms systems for instant communication anywhere in the galaxy.

Yep, the Malon were in Voyager and had these humongous freighters that dumped theta radiation all around.

Currently it’s planned to be more of a future-where-we-haven’t-found-any-aliens more akin to Firefly or 2001 A Space Odyssey. Or maybe the Alien franchise universe without the Xenomorphs. Wexler-Watson is a Weyland-Yutani parody after all.

I’m however vaguely planning the player to make first contact. Not exactly sure how that will go or what they will be like, only that I’m saving a purple color scheme for them.

The particle system is 3d so some stars are closer to the camera than others, it’s not an orthographic camera.

1 Like

I’m officially done with coding my controls and classes. Now I’m working on environment design and putting my scenes together. If anyone is serious about making a game and wants to help with design send me a message.

14 Likes

Attach the unit name to the unit model node. It will look better that way

I can put BItmapText’s in a node? Are you sure? I don’t think so, as all the 3D nodes go into the rootNode, and it needs to be in the guiNode to render text.

What I will do however is put black boxes behind the names, or something like that.

Yes you can !. Bitmap text is just a geometry as a sphere or a box. You will have to adjust the size cause guiNode and rootNode are not rendered the same way but anyway you can definitly have text or healthbar directly on top of the head of your characters.

Note : maybe you will have to orient these text to face the cam then (guiNode is kind of orthographic mode), take a look a the the billboard control.

Actually just use the class BillBoard!

This is the code i m using my self! So have fun you can use this.

private void generateFloatingText(Main app, Messages message) {
        BillboardControl bbC = new BillboardControl();
        bbC.setAlignment(BillboardControl.Alignment.Screen);

BitmapFont fnt = app.getAssetManager().loadFont("Interface/Fonts/Default.fnt");
        BitmapText txt = new BitmapText(fnt, false);

txt.setColor(message.getTextColor());
        txt.setBox(new Rectangle(0, 0, 8, 4));
        txt.setQueueBucket(RenderQueue.Bucket.Translucent);
        txt.setSize(1.5f);
        txt.setText(message.getText());

txt.addControl(bbC);
        txt.setLocalTranslation(message.getPosition().add(-4, 0, 0));

message.getReceiver().attachChild(txt);
        message.setQuad(txt);
        message.setGenerated(true);
    }
1 Like

:open_mouth: I love you. <3 (Edit: That sounded wrong. :D)
I had never even heard of a billboard control thingy before.

Hi @Tryder,
I love this scene.

I have one question, how did you do the bloom effects on the crystals and asteroids?

And then, does it have a big impact on performance?

Thanks

Plane Game ?

new “a10” model, bullet physics, custom particle mesh + controller, new grass method (traditional planes with clump sprites)

Uses dynamic secondary animation on the plane, which may appear simple, but adds the rocking and rolling, which on the harrier model (not shown) is more important as it vectors thrust correctly. It will also help hide lag. The Harrier model also has tertiary animation with all the flaps moving in response to the planes movement. Flaps will come to the a10 model in time.

13 Likes

Basically this is a top down only view so for the rocks with crystals on them there is a plane facing up along the Y axis with a material that just draws a circle that fades from opaque to transparent as it approaches the extents of the circle’s radius. This is an alpha additive material added to the transparent bucket with depth check/write set to off so it draws over-top of the rock. It has no noticeable effect on performance.

There are also black holes in the game, the event horizon is the same material with slightly different settings and the modulate blend mode, depth write/check off and added to the translucent bucket.

1 Like

5 Likes

Sweet! I’ve got a question though. Why does the A10 hover in the video? Per design it is not a vertical lift vehicle. Maybe you could drop a line or two about what your game is about.

1 Like

yeah i know, but the hovering is just fun, so creative licence is taken =P For game-play I think I will remove the a10’s ability to fly backwards. I may hack in some ‘after market’ vertical lift thrusters, or just leave it, not sure just yet. It’s important for the planes to move around fluidly, I’m not making a flight sim, just a stylised shooter, its currently kind of a 2.5d shooter, but that’s all I’ve really got going right now.

Thanks for your answer. I really like the graphics and models. Personally, I’d love to have a flight sim with these. :wink:

That’s just plane awesome, really fluid motion! What does the lens flare consist of? I sense a touch of radial blur there I think.