Unfortunately, I still don’t have anything video game related to show.
Lately, my free time has been taken making a guitar. For some reason, this idea got into my head a couple months ago and I couldn’t shake it. I would fall asleep thinking about it… eventually I decided to do something about it.
Here is the final result:
I bought the neck but made the body myself.
Here are some shots from before I put the chameleon paint (and all of the clear coat) on… just satin black undercoat:
In that pic, I laid all of the pieces in just to see what it would look like. Instead of the neck, I have a piece of wood bolted in to hold it while I paint. That’s one major difference between this and a real Les Paul… the neck is bolted on instead of mortises. a) it was 100x easier, and b) the neck I bought was bolt on so I had little choice in the end.
Here is a shot from the end that shows the curves a little better:
My regular guitar is a Gibson Les Paul so I chose to make one like that. In retrospect, it’s a little like a new game dev jumping right into making an MMO. It’s definitely one of the hardest type of guitar bodies to make.
Tonight I finally got it wired up properly and played it. The fret board needs a lot of reconditioning but after a truss rod adjustment, the action is really nice. Even the intonation was pretty decent right off the bat… actually it’s better than me regular Les Paul that needs some bridge adjustments. I’m really happy about that because I spent almost an hour measuring and remeasuring where the bridge posts would go and then drilling up from a pilot hole to the full size, one bit size at a time (probably 12 bits) to make sure it didn’t drift.
Placing the bridge in the right place is kind of the difference between having an instrument and having something pretty to hang on the wall, really. Paranoia paid off, I guess.