'old' core version used? Or issue updating?

Hey all, I noticed earlier today I was using the beta3 version of JME, not the beta3 RC2 version. This was mainly because I downloaded the latest version of JMEPlanet, and it had a couple of imports that weren’t recognised.

So, I downloaded RC2, let it update, and I figured that’d be it - I could use JMEPlanet again. I was wrong, unfortunately.

Some of the imports that are giving errors are these:

[java]import com.jme3.shadow.CompareMode;
import com.jme3.shadow.DirectionalLightShadowRenderer;
import com.jme3.shadow.EdgeFilteringMode;[/java]

And as far as I can tell, this is core stuff - CompareMode for instance was last edited in nov. 2012, according to svn. So my best guess is that somehow I’m using an outdated version of JME3-core.jar

I do see however that when I try to check for updates, I get the message ‘checking for updates failed’ - even though checking for updates earlier worked just fine. Might have something to do with this as well.
In any case, I have no clue as to what’s going on exactly, so any help would be much appreciated.

These classes were not in RC2 but they are in nightly.

1 Like

Simple answer, thanks for that! I’ll reread the JMEPlanet thread, and post that it requires nightly if it’s not there (meaning I’ve read over it)

I still wonder why I get the ‘failed’ message when checking for updates. Shouldn’t it display something like ‘no updates available’?

Edit: I’ll re-re-reread it. It’s there, on page 6, but I missed that. I’ll go hide in shame now.

Actually you have to specifically configure the SDK to use nightly, otherwise it uses the stable repo.
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/sdk:update_center?s[]=nightly
Using Nightly is not always safe though. Sure you have the latest features, but it can break at anytime.

Took a slightly different approach than what’s described at that page; downloaded the latest nightly zip from http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/nightly/ and added those libs as separate libraries - so I can specify if I want to use ‘regular’ or nightly libraries depending on the project, from one single SDK. For me that feels more useful than having two separate SDK’s.

And I know the risks of nightly builds - that’s why they’re nightly, as far as I know, development is still being done :slight_smile: Thanks! Marking this topic as resolved.

This way you mix the SDK engine libraries and the engine libraries in different versions. Editing / importing etc. will be error prone.

I’m not sure I’d call it mix - more like having two library versions, which I’m accustomed to already from using eclipse with various libraries, requirements, needs etc per-project. Importing could cause some errors, true, but checking the used library will be a quick way to see if that’s causing issues.