On choice of VCS

Konsequent -> systematic (best match given the overtones)

On choice of VCS:
svn is easy to learn, but merging tends to fail at the mildest of complications.
git is hard to learn, for devs and contributors. I’m contributing to Sympy, and I’m seeing git mishaps happen on a regular basis. On the plus side, git merge support is top-notch, to the point that it enables workflows that are infeasible for svn.
There’s another contender, mercurial (a.k.a. hg). I haven’t used it in anger yet, so I can only reproduce what I read about it: that it’s easier to learn, and that it’s almost as powerful as git. It claims even better merge support than git (git advocates dispute this, can’t say who’s right).

Popularity: SVN is still most popular but declining, git is second and growing, hg is third but catching up to git.

On choice of repository:
Github is somewhat confusing. Also, they are doing some creative abuse on git’s branch concept, which is bad if you’re still trying to get to grips with git. On the plus side, they make it really easy to discuss patches: Simply click on the line number in a patch and type away in the edit field that opens. This has been working exceedingly well whenever I have been contributions to Sympy.
Then there’s Bitbucket. I’m in the dev role there, so I can’t really compare with github, but I have had far less “huh?” moments on github. Bitbucket supports both git and mercurial, so it will be easier to switch. Bitbucket is more friendly to closed-source development, you can have up to five contributors for a

Popularity: github is all the rage, but bitbucket is well-respected and popular.

On security: github isn’t less safe than any other site, github was just used to showcase a nasty bug in Ruby on Rails (which is a webserver infrastructure similar to PHP).

Just my 2c.

@toolforger said: Bitbucket is more friendly to closed-source development, you can have up to five contributors for a

Please do go on… I think someone hung up the phone before you were done. :wink:

Heh. Sorry. Too much editing and too little reviewing. Let me complete that:
Bitbucket allows free closed-source projects but at most five persons can have write access.
That’s quite startup-friendly, I must say, and at $10/month for a ten-person project, it’s still great value for little money.
(Open-source projects like jme3 are free regardless of number of committers.)

For my own project, I haven’t yet made a final decision whether it will be open or closed source. Bitbucket is ideal, I can start closed and open it if/when I decide the time is right.

Ah yes. I agree with that.

I personally use BitBucket and Mercurial after trying several solutions and I can’t be happier. Haven’t run into problems either. crosses fingers

I actually use BitBucket for everything!

Took the liberty of testing out this forum’s “Split” feature, since your reply didn’t really pertain to the topic at hand.

I’m gonna be pissing a lot of people off with this thing.

The split worked, good idea. I didn’t know how to move the off-topic posts on page 1 - can they be moved here, too?

One thing did not work: I didn’t get a notification that my posts were moved. I see my subscription to the thread was activated so I’d have noticed sooner or later, but the knee-jerk reaction was still “huh? who deleted my posts?”

@toolforger said: The split worked, good idea. I didn't know how to move the off-topic posts on page 1 - can they be moved here, too?
It doesn't support individually picked replies, only a split starting with a certain reply and including the rest. If you want more support for more fine-grained control, feel free to drop a feature request into bbpress.org. I've put in my share of requests already, so I'm trying to pick my battles (read: rants) wisely.
One thing did not work: I didn't get a notification that my posts were moved. I see my subscription to the thread was activated so I'd have noticed sooner or later, but the knee-jerk reaction was still "huh? who deleted my posts?"
Hmmm, strange. I created a bare bones bug report for it. Feel free to add to it.

I have never administered a bbpress installation, so I don’t know the backend and would be unable to specify what exactly I want, so I’ll pass on writing that RFE.
The bug report you created has already been classified and scheduled, plus it has all details I could have added. We’ll see what comes of it :slight_smile:

Now back to our regularly scheduled VCS advocacy:
@madjack, have you used git and can compare with hg?

Well i used both mercurial and git , and by foo.ling around i managed to get the mercurial one compromised once (read remote actions via hgtortoise only) so that no push nor pull was possible anymore. If that would happen with a productive system shit would be hot.

So i prefer git with command line and git gui, that works for all development enviroments all operating systems and is quite robust, as the git gui is only calling native git commands and does modify it directly.

Regarding github bitbucket whatever.
As server i suggest get a cheap vroot with linux setup ssh accesses for everyone and a shared folder containing a repository, and you are done. This should be possible at around 8-10€ per month. For that you get around 20gb hdd, 0.5gb ram and a bit of cpu power. This is probably even enough to set up a wiki a forum. Depending on game it might een be enough for a initial gameserver. So while you do more stuff yourself, you also learn about server administration with unix ect. And have no non hardwarebased artificial limits, and come out around same price as a account on one of those sites.

hg / merc is DEAD SLOW on large projects, also puts way too much work to the server.

@erlend_sh said: I'm gonna be pissing a lot of people off with this thing.
Actually I found that appropriate.

About the subject, I use git at work and it’s quite nice, branch management is easy, The commit+push operation is disturbing at first but you quickly get used to it.

I think if we have this OP forum where we discuss everything, we don’t need the issues/wiki/patches on Github.

We use svn at work and its alright, on occasion have not been able to access the server (not located in office) so stuff involving TFS gets annoying. I use git at home tho. I use Unfuddle as my host, its ok

Actually i would not use svn anymore, as alone when comparing what somone helse has done with a older revision can need quite some time depending on size of the repository and history + networkbandwidth. Since those actions can all be done locally in mercural and git its way faster and will also work if you are on xmax holidays in your no bandwidth hometown. (Also if work si boring and you dont have free inet access there, just copy your .git on a usb drive and you are ready to go and can later merge with your home computer, but who would do such a thing ) :roll:

1 Like