Open Game Finder

Thanks for the extended description, that helped :slight_smile: The Open Game Finder is pretty straight forward, but the PFFJ still has me confused. I'll refer to the dedicated thread with my questions though.

That's why there are two threads. I'll look into that one as well, see if it needs clarification somehow.

But first to test the new Nifty Chat panel  :smiley:

Ok, I started work on the database on the server. That should be working now through hibernate. Only problem now is that my messages don't seem to arrive on the server correctly. Looks like a problem with the serialiser in SpiderMonkey. Ah well, I'll get in touch with Lars about that tomorrow.

Other then that, things are progressing nicely. One of the two Nifty bugs has been fixed, thanks to Void. Once I get the registration on the server done I'll see about setting up some sort of test version for you guys to play with. Although you can always check the progress by checking out the project from my svn, that one has quite a few dependencies that aren't in there correctly yet, sorry.

Another day, Another milestone…

I got the main login / registration working. There are still some issues with the spidermonkey lib, it sometimes gives me an out of memory exception. But that'being worked on. Other then that I did some major rework on the SpiderMonkeyPlugin both on the client and the server, putting all the shared code in a central class. I also updated the build path and the lib dir. Now, all the needed libs are in the lib dir. The only exception at this time is Nifty, since I use code from Nifty that's only in their SVN version and I'm relying on them to do the building for me.

Also, I added Hibernate and a mySQL database on the server. In the build.xml there is a task that generates a piece of sql code to create the database for you. It also runs this against the database as defined in the hibernate.cfg.xml file, so after running this task you "should" have a running, functioning database and be ready to test what there is so far.

commiting now…

Ok, some major changes today. Fixed the code to use the new SpiderMonkey from the JME3 SVN.

Aside from that, the login now actually waits for a response from the server before proceeding to the lobby. Next up is the chat in the lobby. After that I’ll see if I can make a nice alpha version for you guys to play with.

Depending on work and the kids I may have that one done early next week. Chat is always morework then you think.

This sounds really cool. Good idea.

Hey there,

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve been able to put any time into this. I still have some ideas on where to go next, but time has become limited with the second kid.

I am still committed but could use some help to get the project up to speed again. Especially the front end (Nifty plugin) could use someone with a bit more time and Nifty experience. UIs always take up a lot of time to get right, time better spent working on the actual technical stuff. But if you are interested, you are more then welcome to come on board and help out.

I’d love to help. I have 0 experience with Nifty tho. Plenty of time right now. I have some basic/intermediate experience with JME2 and have done some basic stuff in JME3.

Just point me in the right direction and I’ll start taking a look at it.

@ractoc very glad to see this one’s still moving along.

@monkeyBrainz I fully endorse this project. ractoc is a very capable developer with an idea that we’re all very curious to see realized. Nifty seems to be a real challenge to some, while others embrace its concepts in a heartbeat; I hope you’re the latter. Either way, the library author @void256 is active on this board and he keeps on top of all new posts within the GUI board, so you’re not on your own if you get stuck.

You can actually get started without direction. Just read up on the nifty docs and you’ll figure out quickly enough if this is the type of jME-related work you could see yourself committing to.

Yeah, sorry this thing got sidetracked for so long/ The new kid, combined with a new, demanding job ate up all my spare time.

MonkeyBrainz, I sent you a private message with the svn details.

Yeah, sorry this thing got sidetracked for so long/ The new kid, combined with a new, demanding job ate up all my spare time.

MonkeyBrainz, I sent you a private message with the svn details.

Interesting. A bit what Steam does, except for the updates/downloads and ads.

I have two questions sofar

1. what do you need jME for? (it’s a networking component. I can imagine using it for a 2D game using Slick.)
  2. Will it be free to use in commercial games? (would increase acceptance)

At the moment I’m using Nifty for the gui. As a result I’m using JME as a short cut to instantiate Nifty, but that’s about it. And Spidermonkey is now integrated in JME3, which is another reason I’m using the JME3 libs.

But since Spidermonkey can be used without JME3, and the GUI is in a seperate, confined, plugin, it should be easy enough to integrate OGF into any game you want. You should even be able to integrate it into a swing app if you really wanted to.

At the moment I haven’t put any real thought into the licencing part of things. First priority would be to get a working alpha version. Making it free to use in commercial games would mean people would demand things from me with regards to time and such. So not sure on that end. But I would definatelly consider it is a commercial game would be interested in picking it up.

Ok a short update is on order I think. Over the last week I’ve made a lot of progress. On the server side I now have a working session plugin. This means I can keep track of everything related to a client way more easily then before.

On the client side I have the chat plugin all but finished. Over the next weel I’ll be working on the server side chat plugon. Once that’s done, I should have a working alpha version. One requirement for going alpha is that Lars incorporates my suggestrd changes into SpiderMonley, as he said he would.

Well there you have it. After along absence, this project is once

more alive and kicking.

Mark.

Awesome work! I’m currently working on a game that would benefit greatly from something like this. I’m pretty new to JME3 and java, but I’ve managed to get some basic things working in Nifty (i.e. switching screens/loading functions/exiting to main game).

I know MonkeyBrainz said he’d help with this, but if you could use some additional help I’d gladly help out with that.

hey there jblaszak,

Yeah I would welcome the help. I setup monkeybrainz days ago but he doesn’t respond to any PMs I sent him for some reason… And with the way my plugin system works, you don’t really need all that much Java knowledge to get going. Since all the functionality is pretty limited per plugin. You have an external interface to the plugin in the form of PluginMessages and PluginMessageResults. These are the contract you have with the other plugins, but inside your plugin you can pretty much code it however you like.

Cool, sounds good. I had my second to last final exam today (yeah, on a Saturday, pretty lame) and the last one shouldn’t require much work, so I’ll have quite a bit of time to hammer out whatever you need. :slight_smile: Just let me know what you want and I’ll get started on it.

To get started you would need a few things. I’m currently mailing Lars to have him add two methods to SpiderMonkey. Once that’s done, you can just use the Cient and Server from SpiderMonkey. Now I’m using a locally altered version which isn’t in any SVN. But I can easily mail you the methods so you can get started.

Aside from that, you need to check out JME3, Nifty and Nifty-default-controls from their respective SVNs. Then you need to off course check out OGN from the SVN as well…

JME3:

http://jmonkeyengine.googlecode.com/svn/branches/jme3

Nifty/Nifty Default Controls:

https://nifty-gui.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nifty-gui

OGN:

http://www.ractoc.com/opengamefinder/svn

I will need to set you up with an account on my SVN for you to be able to do commits. But for now you should focus on getting to grips with the whole thing. See how everything comes together and see if you have any questions.

In OGN, I use another project of min, PFfJ. But I compile the Jars for that project into OGN after each change, so OGN always has the latest PFfJ jar files. This saves you the trouble of having to checkout and compile that one as well.

Oh, and I’m running OGN from Eclipse with the complete Eclipse project checked in. If you want to run from Netbeans / JMP, that’s fine, but it would require you to set everything up yourself.

Mark.

Sorry, I’m kinda confused about a few things there. What exactly is an SVN and what am I supposed to do with the links you’ve posted?

you can find all about SVN at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion

There are SVN clients in all the major IDEs nowadays and you can find out how to access an svn server through the IDE on their websites or through google. If you are using Eclipse, I can help you set it up.

The URLs I gave you are locations for SVN repositories. You can access them through the XVN client in your IDE, or with an SVN client outside of your IDE, a good one is: tortoise svn (http://tortoisesvn.net/).