OpenCL support?

I just read that LWJGL supports OpenCL now. Are there any plans to bring support for that on a higher level (maybe like shaders) to JME? Could speed up some calculations :wink: OpenCL in LWJGL

you can use the opencl stuff directly. Bullet(physic engine) is goind to support gpu acceleration as well. Else than that wait for java8 they plan to give the jit compiler the ability to crosscompile to opencl.

No, we will probably add our own OpenCL API at some point as using OpenCL without a way to share data with OpenGL doesn’t make much sense. E.g. using it for calculatimg animations or so. Without sharing you push the data via the bus to the gpu to compute on it with OpenCL, then pull it out again just to push it back to OpenCL…

@normen said:
No, we will probably add our own OpenCL API at some point as using OpenCL without a way to share data with OpenGL doesn't make much sense. E.g. using it for calculatimg animations or so. Without sharing you push the data via the bus to the gpu to compute on it with OpenCL, then pull it out again just to push it back to OpenCL..

ok that makes sense.

@EmpirePhoenix said:
you can use the opencl stuff directly. Bullet(physic engine) is goind to support gpu acceleration as well. Else than that wait for java8 they plan to give the jit compiler the ability to crosscompile to opencl.

I didn't know that java8 will support that - I think I have to take the time to finally look up the roadmap ;)
@normen said:
No, we will probably add our own OpenCL API at some point as using OpenCL without a way to share data with OpenGL doesn't make much sense. E.g. using it for calculatimg animations or so. Without sharing you push the data via the bus to the gpu to compute on it with OpenCL, then pull it out again just to push it back to OpenCL..

JOGL <-> JOCL interoperability just works, why creating another OpenCL API?
@gouessej said:
JOGL <-> JOCL interoperability just works, why creating another OpenCL API?

Cause jme users are supposed to use jme api. It will basically just wrap JOGLs OpenCL access but we still need our own ways to intialize it, send kernels etc.
@normen said:
Cause jme users are supposed to use jme api. It will basically just wrap JOGLs OpenCL access but we still need our own ways to intialize it, send kernels etc.

Ok but you can use JOGL and JOCL under the hood by wrapping them into your own API so that JMonkeyEngine users use JMonkeyEngine APIs. Is that what you mean?
@gouessej said:
Ok but you can use JOGL and JOCL under the hood by wrapping them into your own API so that JMonkeyEngine users use JMonkeyEngine APIs. Is that what you mean?

Yes. But if for example we switch back to LWJGL or to UberJGLAndWhatnotWrapper then the user wouldn't have to change his app.