OpenGl 1 and NifytGui

Do you have to set the renderer for NiftyGui?

I did some testing a wile back and forgot to ask about it. Running a application with the renderer set to AppSettings.LWJGL_OPENGL_ANY and using NiftyGui doesn’t seem to work with OpenGl 1. All I saw was a black screen. When I did the same test but setting the renderer to AppSettings.LWJGL_OPENGL1 with a machine running OpenGl 2 the interface is displayed. I know that NiftyGui runs on a machine with OpenGl 1 because I ran there demo on the same machine I did the first test on. “I know I’m doing it wrong”.

Did you update the SDK to the latest stable version? (Help->Check for Updates) Afaik OpenGL1 support has been added to the nifty renderer some time ago.

1 Like

I will try again I was using nightly build 04/25/2012 with eclipse at the time I did the test.

If you use eclipse and want to build it yourself, use branches/3.0beta, thats what “stable updates” are.

@normen said:
If you use eclipse and want to build it yourself, use branches/3.0beta, thats what "stable updates" are.

I run eclipse off a flash drive and sometimes us a local version of jMonkey to avoid updating if not necessary. This allows me to test applications on different machines with out deploying.

"I had some issues with that once" But thank you for the advice.
@skidrunner said:
This allows me to test applications on different machines with out deploying.

:? But thats not a deployment test ^^ Isn't it easier/a better test just running the final application?

Is today :facepalm: day?

1 Like
@madjack said:
Is today :facepalm: day?

What I am saying is that I need to be able to update the code. I am not going to compile and pack move it to the flash drive and test it on each machine. My flash drive is for development when I am away from my home machine allowing me to be independent form the internet "no SVN".

"I love the internet so much hate in the world".
@skidrunner said:
What I am saying is that I need to be able to update the code. I am not going to compile and pack move it to the flash drive and test it on each machine. My flash drive is for development when I am away from my home machine allowing me to be independent form the internet "no SVN".

Ah, now that makes sense ^^ I should add some tool to the SDK allowing one to make such a distro incl. build script and ant on a stick.. A whole IDE run off a USB stick seems to be a bit overkill but being able to test code changes when you're at the actual machine sounds nice.

That makes a bit more sense than saying it’s for “…testing applications on different machines…”.

It’s not that bad actual all you have to do is a make a simple change to the eclipse.ini adding:

-vm

.java filesjdk1.6.0_30binjavaw

-startup

and having the JDK unpacked on the flash drive in a separate directory in the same directory as the eclipse.exe

It runs and compiles at the same speed as if it were on the local machine.

And only 600mb off the flash drive.

“If that makes since”

sorry being unclear :slight_smile:

Sure, compiling can happen in memory after the executables have been loaded but a whole IDE would probably access the disk more often. I thought you’d use Eclipse because it has its own small version of javac and doesn’t need the JDK… Having both JDK and Eclipse now definitely seems like overkill to me ^^

@normen said:
Sure, compiling can happen in memory after the executables have been loaded but a whole IDE would probably access the disk more often. I thought you'd use Eclipse because it has its own small version of javac and doesn't need the JDK.. Having both JDK and Eclipse now definitely seems like overkill to me ^^

it's a power trip thing ;) force the use of the JDK I want from start up.

so ya a little.

I’m impressed that you’re able to run Eclipse off the flash drive. Where I used to work I kept the current version of Eclipse on my Desktop which was set up via AFP… It was painfully slow to start :confused:

I’m not going to lie the start up is definitely slow but just a little bit slower than the JMP. “I’m using Indigo”