OpenGL Error 1285

Reduce the resolution of your textures (or number of unique textures) and reduce the number of vertices of your meshes.

jep I know the default answer :wink: but the Error 1285 is sometimes thrown if I load one textured model with 10 separate textures and none of them is larger than (200x200) pixels and the vertices count of the model is about 4000 so loading it on an Samsung S3 with 1 gb ram should be possible correct? I experienced that the S3 eats up all its available RAM and does not kill other apps early enough so when the game needs the memory its just not there and the out of memory exception is thrown by opengl? any similar experiences?

Use a texture atlas? Handling a single texture is much easier than handling 10 textures.
Also, use power-of-2 texture size, e.g. 128x128, 256x256, etc, never use sizes like 200x400, as the GPU might have to use up more memory to handle those.

As last resort you can try compressing the textures using GPU supported compression formats like ETC1, PVRTC, ATITC, S3Tc, etc. or using the RGB565 format.

@Momoko_Fan said: Use a texture atlas? Handling a single texture is much easier than handling 10 textures.

I already tried the texture atlas creation tool for scenes in the JME SDK but it always says that some of the textures are missing and I just don’t know how to fix this because its a model I imported to Blender and it looks fine in JME and Blender but something must be wrong with the textures anyway.

but this still doesn’t anwer why sometimes the phone cant handle these conditions of 10 small textures and 4000 vertices, even in the worst case it should be possible to be handled on a high end phone with 1gb ram, or am i wrong? so it must be some other limitation why the out of memory error is thrown so my idea was that the other running apps can reserve so much of the 1gb ram that the game cant use any of it anymore

<cite>@simon.heinen said:</cite> I already tried the texture atlas creation tool for scenes in the JME SDK but it always says that some of the textures are missing and I just don't know how to fix this because its a model I imported to Blender and it looks fine in JME and Blender but something must be wrong with the textures anyway.

but this still doesn’t anwer why sometimes the phone cant handle these conditions of 10 small textures and 4000 vertices, even in the worst case it should be possible to be handled on a high end phone with 1gb ram, or am i wrong? so it must be some other limitation why the out of memory error is thrown so my idea was that the other running apps can reserve so much of the 1gb ram that the game cant use any of it anymore

Maybe its because there some textures embedded in the .blend file? The texture atlas tool relies on the textures being external.
@Normen: Maybe we need to take the hash of the texture data in order to determine equality, since there’s no key to identify the texture. What do you think?

<cite>@Momoko_Fan said:</cite> Maybe its because there some textures embedded in the .blend file? The texture atlas tool relies on the textures being external. @Normen: Maybe we need to take the hash of the texture data in order to determine equality, since there's no key to identify the texture. What do you think?

The current svn version extracts the textures and asks you where to save them when you create a j3m file.