Opinions about homura

hi! Hi recently discovered this project: http://java.cms.livjm.ac.uk/homura/index.php

I had not yet tested it, but it seems very interesting and well documented. the idea of a extension for eclipse and netbeans to build applet and javawebstart games using JME…

I did a search with the name "homura" in the forum search box, and it seems like if there is no one entry about that… even when homura had reached a 2.0 version. so… my question is, if there are others in the community who already had used this project, and what oppinions they have about that.

Never heard of it, but this is a most interesting find. I haven't gotten their showcase demos to work yet (anyone?) but their documentation consists of several very useful and professional presentations! I'm guessing Normen and his GDE should benefit particularly much from this. I will be trying to get in touch with them. Do let me know if you find any other jME-related projects as you dig around :wink:

Most of the applet demos worked for me, but many were sllloooow to start up. -As in several minutes without any visual progress and only a black square visible. At first I thought the applet had crashed and was about to navigate away from the page.

Didn't try the webstart versions.

Didn't really look at it much, is it an API or a GDE? Seems like the former to me.

The jME w/ physics webstart was the quickest to start, I had to change the file extension to jnlp though, their site served it as a PHP file…

Once inside, it was a nice little sandbox showing off both the capabilities of jME as well as jME-Physics.  Something similar for jme-jbullet would definitely be a great thing :slight_smile:

Momoko_Fan said:

Didn't really look at it much, is it an API or a GDE? Seems like the former to me.

I think its just a bunch of proof of concepts for something, though what exactly they're doing is a bit hard to ascertain.

Well, I got in touch with someone from the team (well, a professor involved with the team anyhow) and I hope he will answer some of my questions in due time. The way it looks I wouldn't get my hopes up about this project though. Not to worry, we can and will do better :slight_smile:

erlend_sh said:
The way it looks I wouldn't get my hopes up about this project though. Not to worry, we can and will do better :)

Oh man, you're in super mega competitive mode lately  :P  Even if it doesn't pan out as a lead, it's always cool to keep track of those using jME and having a look at what they're doing with it.

well, it is cool to discover some new project using jme!

I think the reason why I was so interested in homura, is because it seems to handle a very specific problem that (IMHO) is not receiving enough attention in jme: applet distribution. it is a big headache, because running as applet is very important in many projects and it is a bit hard to do the thing run. I had experienced problems with almost all the steps of the process, including GUI integration, digital signatures and so on, and I yet have serious stability problems. looking at homura, who promises a clean and fast way for applet setup seems very nice to me.

For jME3, I already have some preliminary deployment system. You have this gui where you put a checkmark next to "Applet", "Webstart" and "Android" and it will automatically create the distributions for these platforms.