Opinions on Front Page's Forum Feed

Here’s the problem:

“November” is too long to fit in the space, and there really isn’t enough width to make the box wider, so here are some options… Please vote for the one you like best

1.  Remove date from the previous day and just say "Yesterday", like posts from the current date say "Today", days after the previous day would carry the date, but I don't see that happening in the near future, we usually get more than 8 posts in 48 hours :stuck_out_tongue:

2.  Abbreviate the months (November = Nov.)

3. Change the format of the dates (November 7, 2009 = 11/7/09)

We're not limited to my ideas though, suggest your own space saver!
Bonechilla said:

remove the month of November :D

I'd add that as an option but I enjoy Thanksgiving too much :)

remove the month of November :smiley:

I voted for changing the date format, but you als remove the year. So you would have "11/7" or possibly "Nov. 7". I think the year would be pretty intuitive  :slight_smile:

Hmm,…I think it is only intuitiv with the abreviation due to differences in the order of day and month in different locals. e.g. in germany a date is 24.12.2009 as it would be 12/24/2009. In this example you still see what is the day and what the month. But let's see at the 11.12.2009 -> 12/11/2009. Not for everyone obvious. But nevertheless it is just for the forum…so in the end, it does not matter :smiley: (But Option 2 would be in my oppion the best for the whole world)

how about:

• Today
  • 1 Day ago
  • x Days ago ?
ttrocha said:

Hmm,...I think it is only intuitiv with the abreviation due to differences in the order of day and month in different locals. e.g. in germany a date is 24.12.2009 as it would be 12/24/2009. In this example you still see what is the day and what the month. But let's see at the 11.12.2009 -> 12/11/2009. Not for everyone obvious. But nevertheless it is just for the forum...so in the end, it does not matter :D (But Option 2 would be in my oppion the best for the whole world)

good point about that

Core-Dump said:

how about:
- Today
- 1 Day ago
- x Days ago ?

Interesting, but would it be "1 day ago" as in 24 hours from the last post or when the actual date changed?

I agree with Core-dump.

The actual date and time is almost irrelevant - and at the moment appears broken as the top post says Today at 10:41:09 pm which according to my clock is 1hr 10minutes into the future?

If I remember correctly tho, its not possible to get accurate timezone/local information from a browser (A company I worked for had to use an applet to do this?) - I could be wrong, but I hate web development and try to stick to real programming at the server side  :slight_smile:

I think the site has enough turn over that just displaying hours and minutes ago is enough - when was the last time there were less than 10 posts a day?

Interesting, but would it be "1 day ago" as in 24 hours from the last post or when the actual date changed?

Surely its the time between the posts in the list being created - and the page showing the list being served, or maybe I just missunderstood the comment?
JOC said:

I agree with Core-dump.
The actual date and time is almost irrelevant - and at the moment appears broken as the top post says Today at 10:41:09 pm which according to my clock is 1hr 10minutes into the future?

It doesn't work until you're logged in to the forum  (that's assuming that you've set your timezone in the forum profile)

If I remember correctly tho, its not possible to get accurate timezone/local information from a browser (A company I worked for had to use an applet to do this?) - I could be wrong, but I hate web development and try to stick to real programming at the server side 

Didn't know that, but it makes enough sense.  When I googled it there were a bunch of answers like "Get the server's time and then add or subtract the number of hours".  I'd agree to shunning web development, but there are a bunch of Wordpresser's in town for Wordcamp NYC this weekend, I better keep my mouth shut ;)

Surely its the time between the posts in the list being created - and the page showing the list being served, or maybe I just missunderstood the comment?

I would've assumed doing it by date change as "1 day" seems overly broad.  We could do it like Twitter I suppose with "30 Seconds Ago", "5 Minutes Ago", "2 Hours Ago".  Both methods are time zone agnostic and could probably clear up occasional confusion as well as the formatting.

I think "30 Seconds Ago", "5 Minutes Ago", "2 Hours Ago", … is the best solution.

JackNeil said:

I think "30 Seconds Ago", "5 Minutes Ago", "2 Hours Ago", .. is the best solution.
Agreed.
erlend_sh said:

JackNeil said:

I think "30 Seconds Ago", "5 Minutes Ago", "2 Hours Ago", .. is the best solution.
Agreed.

Double Agreed.