Ouya + jMonkey in the future?

So I guess I’ll start it.

For anyone who hasn’t been on the internet today: OUYA

This seems like a perfect opportunity to get jMonkey onto a console. And it’s Android, so I assume we’ve already got significant strides toward this happening.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Hmm, interesting concept. I haven’t heard about it before.

It seems like $2million to get a console off the ground isn’t enough, but I guess if there is no advertising around it then it would be significantly cheaper. I can only base this off of xbox and playstation and how much they spend.

Thanks for bringing it towards everyone’s attention. It could be a pretty cool platform.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this kickstarter began this morning, so that $2mill is what they’ve gotten so far today. On top of that, their goal was a mere $1 million, and it still has 30 days to go. I’m wondering if it will break $10 million. If so, this could be a real competitor for the big 3, Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony.

I backed it for $100 which apparently gets me a system and 1 controller, and I guess that covers shipping too; so the cost on them must be incredibly low.

1 Like

Looks like a great project!

What bothers me is the low hardware spec. Tegra3 quad core is great for something you have in your pocket…but that completely sucks compared to last gen console hardware. If they want to compete with xbox and PS3 they need a proper hardware. I’d drop in 100 more bucks for a real console hardware.

Wait and see…

Well, I think they are being smart and aiming at the lower end market and more casual gamers. After all people who won’t spend 300+ quid for the latest next gen console may be convinced to splash out 100 on something they put under the TV and pull out every now and then to play free-to-play games on.

By aiming at the low end market you can use mass produced consumer level hardware, by using android most of the OS is done for them…and by plugging into the TV they lose the cost of the screen which is one of the big costs of making a smartphone.

I guess the Wii did something similar. Graphically it had nothing on PS3/Xbox - but it was a lot cheaper and offered something new and appealing to a more casual demographic.

Spec’s are low yes but by the looks of things it’s aimed at opening up the console space to new developers and ideas, not so much competing toe to toe with current consoles. Anyway at $100 it’s a bargain. JMonkey supporting this platform would be excellent :).

My droid already outputs to HDTV via HDMI… and pretty much all the new tegra3 phones and tablets will have HDMI and support with a nvidia 3D gpu.

All they really need to release is a bluetooth control pad driver, a little app that hooks into the system and simulates touches and swipes at certain places on the screen, and an app store with the apps that work with it and their gamepad-to-touch mappings profiles.

Who’s up for making that and beat them to it? :slight_smile:

Your phone also probably cost more than $100 :slight_smile:

One of the advantages of a console as well is consistent hardware…which leads to much fewer problems for people running the game…

@moredhel88 said:
JMonkey supporting this platform would be excellent :).

Well...we do....It's an android 4 device, so as long as this requirement is fulfilled there will be no problem .
Anyway, if this comes to life, I'll have one. I already wasted more than 100 bucks on much less cool things :p
@zarch said:
One of the advantages of a console as well is consistent hardware...which leads to much fewer problems for people running the game..

Yes....but in that particular case that's just one more device in the already vast pool....
There is a good chance that if you make an android game you'll target every android device and not just this one.

Gotta say, I share this sentiment:

It will be great if the OUYA is a high quality system that finds success, despite the fact it’s worth throwing some cold water on the hype. The more homes developers can find for their games, the better for everyone. Still, the challenges the system faces and the fact the OUYA doesn’t have a single game to promote should make you cautious, not excited. There is nothing wrong with taking a step back from the hype and waiting until the system is released commercially and has a robust catalog of games to enjoy.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya-console-doesnt-match-the-hype-why-you-should-be-ske
1 Like

@erlend, there’s Minecraft (and if I’m not wrong, Madden).

@memonick said:
@erlend, there's Minecraft (and if I'm not wrong, Madden).

Last I read somewhere, Notch is quoted as saying he has no plans for Minecraft.

@zarch said:
Well, I think they are being smart and aiming at the lower end market and more casual gamers. After all people who won't spend 300+ quid for the latest next gen console may be convinced to splash out 100 on something they put under the TV and pull out every now and then to play free-to-play games on.

By aiming at the low end market you can use mass produced consumer level hardware, by using android most of the OS is done for them...and by plugging into the TV they lose the cost of the screen which is one of the big costs of making a smartphone.

I guess the Wii did something similar. Graphically it had nothing on PS3/Xbox - but it was a lot cheaper and offered something new and appealing to a more casual demographic.

Here are the problems I see with aiming at the lower end market:
1) you are not going to be able to charge $60 for a game so this limits it pretty much to the regular android market
2) I can pay $200 for a tablet and play all of those same games, leave the house with it, read books on it, surf the web, etc... or I can pay $100 (at least... I cannot find the price) to sit in my living room and play Angry Birds.

(Also note, when I got my Wii it was only about $100 cheaper than the PS3 (2/3 the price) and I stopped playing it as soon as I upgraded to a higher def display and it just looked like marshmallowy poop next to the PS3. I think the fact that supply was limited helped the Wii immensely because people were snatching them up without even careful consideration.)

When they roll this thing out, they will need decent exclusive games, a free online service, and FLAWLESS EXECUTION. Otherwise, I think it will end up being like the Palm Pre in my pocket... great tech but ultimately dead.

I want to succeed because it would be tons of fun... but I'd be more excited if the hardware specs were up to even a 2 year old GPU.

Yeeh, I know what you mean pspeed. I think that article has got it bang on. It’s a very interesting idea but it’s on a shaky foundation. One thing I did notice was that several thousand developer kits have been sold on the kickstarter though - so it will have games…whether they are any good is the next question :slight_smile:

@zarch said:
Yeeh, I know what you mean pspeed. I think that article has got it bang on. It's a very interesting idea but it's on a shaky foundation. One thing I did notice was that several thousand developer kits have been sold on the kickstarter though - so it _will_ have games...whether they are any good is the next question :)

Which are the "developer kits"? All I see is early access releases... which is not necessarily purchased by devs.

@pspeed, The lady in the video played it, and said it will be there.

If they managed to sell android developer kits they are really clever…

@pspeed said:
Which are the "developer kits"? All I see is early access releases... which is not necessarily purchased by devs.

See below.

@nehon said:
If they managed to sell android developer kits they are really clever....

They managed :)

PLEDGE $699 OR MORE
200 BACKERS SOLD OUT (0 of 200 remaining)
Developer Special. A first-run OUYA (already rooted so you can just get going), EARLY SDK ACCESS, an extra controller, and we'll help you get started. We'll also help you promote your game for ONE YEAR, and your games will be marked with a FOUNDER EMBLEM.

PLEDGE $1,337 OR MORE
200 BACKERS SOLD OUT (0 of 200 remaining)
Elite Developer Special. You receive the Developer Special plus the email equivalent of a hotline into OUYA—a closely guarded email address that gives you direct access to our team and priority handling. But wait, there’s more: YOU AND A FRIEND ARE INVITED TO THE OUYA LAUNCH PARTY in Los Angeles. Warm up those biceps because you’ll be lifting a serious gift bag packed with goodies we’re keeping secret until the party.

Although I did have the wrong number in my head remembering from when I read it earlier, thought it was 1000 of each but it was 200.

@zarch said:
Although I did have the wrong number in my head remembering from when I read it earlier, thought it was 1000 of each but it was 200.

That's where I was confused.