Overzealous culling?

I was playing around with com.jme.test.intersection.TestPick today, and I noticed some rather odd behaviour. The picking itself seems to work fine, and so does the drawing of the lines, but I find that the lines occasionally get culled when they should still be visible. For example, spearing the box with ~10 lines and then looking up their length, about 3/4 of the way up they get culled, which is obviously not right. I’d have fixed it myself if I knew how, but my knowledge of the culling system is cursory at best. I can post a screenshot if you’re interested and if you think it’d help.

Oh, that’s because when I am putting lines into the scene, I’m not updating the bounding volumes. So, this is actually an application issue rather than a jME issue. I just wanted to quickly show something, so didn’t worry about updating the model bounds of the line node.

Ah. Well, that makes sense.



I was still playing around with it, trying to implement the functionality myself. I’m kinda stuck. Unfortunately, I’m not exactly sure what I should be doing. Any combination of Line.updateModelBound and Line.updateWorldBound don’t seem to do what I want. I’m sure there’s a “right” way to do this, I’m just not exactly sure what!



Thanks.

I’ll play with TestPick and see if I can get culling for the lines working correctly.

Great! Thanks. It’s so nice to have my very own living tutorial! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, Eric, there definately appears to be something strange going on with the lines. Checking into it.