Packing up assets… how is it supposed to work?

I open ProjectProperties/Build/Assets
I type Assets.jar into “Assets JAR name” (not clear to me why I select this at all, and I presume that the SDK is going to create it though it is not clear)
I type the full path to the folder on my disk where my assets directories are located (e.g., if my assets are arranged in a tree of some depth under ~/assets, I am giving it /Users/tone/assets).

I do a clean+build

No Assets.jar file is built. My OS X .app executable also lacks the assets folder in its contents.

I am not using any sort of SDK/IDE-provided asset manager… just typing the paths into the Settings panel.

How exactly is this to work?

edit: I see now an"Import External Assets" functon. I will try it out, but I’d frankly prefer to not alter the format of the models from the existing OBJ/MTL form (if that is implied by this step).

Tony

The assets folder has to be part of the project (that is a subfolder of the project).

1 Like

Thanks-- I have that building now, but assets.jar goes into the “build” folder and not into “dist”, and consequently it does not go into my .app Mac distributable package. I can try manually placing it there, but is there a means of having JME3 do this?

tone

I guess you have imported other projects or folders and get a warning about that during the build process then. Only import their resulting jar files.

I’m not sure I understood what you meant, but I seem have made it work by going back and indicating that build/asset.jar is included under Project Properties->Libraries->Run
Thanks for the help. Unrelated issues seem to warrant a new thread.

tone

Why do you have a standard java project anyway? A BasicGame project has all this set up.

I started with and have been working in IDEA for a year with a project I ported from another platform. While the JME3 IDE is not bad, there are many things IDEA does better than any such tool. I’ve only started looking at the JME3 IDE hoping it makes packing up the distributables easier.

tone

@DulcetTone said: I started with and have been working in IDEA for a year with a project I ported from another platform. While the JME3 IDE is not bad, there are many things IDEA does better than any such tool. I've only started looking at the JME3 IDE hoping it makes packing up the distributables easier.

It does… if you use a JME project.