Packtpub book release?

Hi,

The 20th December 2012 I pre ordered the book at Packtpub. That day the release was supposed to happen in the same month (December).
The 2nd January still nothing. The 5th, I see that on the product page the release has been moved to March. Today I see another change!!! The month May, a gap of another 2 months.

What’s happening? I haven’t found an updated post in the forums about this since late 2012.
Is there any info about this matter?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

No idea, what we do know is that we won’t publish any book on Packt in the future :wink:

i do not know how to read :frowning:

The book is finished since october 2012…idk what they are waiting for.

Have you guys contacted them and received any information about it?
As the only reply I get is: “The publishing date of the title has been pushed forward due to some unforeseen circumstances.”

The only unforeseen circumstances I can think of are earthquakes, volcano eruptions, tsunamis, or some random bear stealing their food.

2 Likes
@goowikns said: Have you guys contacted them and received any information about it? As the only reply I get is: "The publishing date of the title has been pushed forward due to some unforeseen circumstances."

The only unforeseen circumstances I can think of are earthquakes, volcano eruptions, tsunamis, or some random bear stealing their food.

Or resonance cascade! :open_mouth:

So, they say its May 2013.

<cite>@goowikns said:</cite> Have you guys contacted them and received any information about it? As the only reply I get is: "The publishing date of the title has been pushed forward due to some unforeseen circumstances."

Same here we’re afraid. We hear from them in sudden bursts when they make our poor @zathras jump through hoops to make some deadline for some change… Then again nothing for months.

Don’t blame Packt, I was supposed to do some final updates in December, but got stuck and procrastinated it. They have a certain style in their beginner books (how they break it up into concrete code samples versus background concepts) and I spent the later part of 2012 rewriting my content to fit their template (next to a day job). The content is there, just all the details take a lot longer than I had expected. -.-

It’s definitely on its way! :slight_smile:

1 Like

May 2013 … to July 2013!
Looking at their speed, I bet 100$ it wont be out in July but rather December 2013.

If I give you the proof of purchase (preorder) would you guys be able to just mail me your finished sample?!
I mean I waited long enough for this book. There should be another way around.

All the code samples are published online already, n there’s many tutorials to keep u busy

@zathras: How is it going ? I’m still interested in the book.

It’s going very well, I have handed off all the chapters, images, and code samples in the meanwhile. There is still the typical fomatting/pagination/etc to do on the publisher’s end, as expected. They said I’ll get the final copy (for one last review) very soon.

The book release is now planned for next week or first week of July.

I handed off everything, and I can’t think of anything more that needs to be done. :slight_smile:

A bit of background about the process: When you work with a publisher, they obviously own the files. The author cannot casually shift whole sections back and forth from one chapter to another, or lay the latest draft versions all next to one another and compare the overall structure, etc. This approach takes getting used to, but it also streamlines the writing process down to what is realistically achievable in that time period. In contrast, when authors write all by themselves, they can move stuff around when ever they feel like it; but also one gets bogged down in details, instead of getting the whole thing done. So either has pros and cons.

And for completeness’ sake: I’m a tech writer who codes, not a developer who writes. I’ve been working on this book for over two years next to a day job and life. I started with JME to teach myself Java as a hobby, and now we have the wiki tutorials, a 300+ page book, plus example code that’s smarter than a helloworld, so thank you for bearing with me. (Or should that be “monkeying” with me?) :smiley:

And a special thanks to the core developers who answered all my questions. :slight_smile: (AppStates and Controls and Shaders are brilliant!)

6 Likes

[video]Hell, It's about time. - YouTube

congrats! :slight_smile: thanks for all the hard work

Kewl!

LOL, thanks, nice video!

PS: Wait is he smoking cigars under his space helmet :-o :evil:

yeh, hes that bad ass xD

woah, finally!! This is great news :smiley: