Parallax Terrain Shader working in JME3, some minor problems in JMP

HI all,

I created a parallax terrain shader which blends several parllax maps. It is working great in JME3. Now I added the the shader into JMP so I can check if it would work for the artists. The test left me with some questions.

You can see the behavior at the video. It shows the JME scene,everything normal. At minute 1 I switch to JMP where you can see the strange shifting of textures while the blue triangles move just slightly. Thereafter I delete my directional light where the terrain blurs, turning the scene light on and off creates strange artifacts, the terrain looks completely blured.

1. what light is created when activating the light in scene viewer? is it possible to change the light parameters?

2. anybody has a clue why the terrain seems to move in JMP but not in JME?

3. I had to add a directional light to have the terrain display something besides blured textures, removing that light, or disabeling the scene light made the terrain blury. The parameters for the DL in JME and JMP were the same, the JME scene just needed one DL to display the textures.

I used the terrain demo height based terrain in jme, in jmp I exported a terrain from blender (.obj) and converted it into jme format then genrated tangents) There I had the idea to have a look at the mesh but when displaying it I have not found anything about what the mesh is composed of (vertex, normals, uv’s). Could you please add this to the mesh parameters display in JMP?

The shader will be avaliable to anyone, as soon as I have changed it to not rely on 4 terrain textures but anything from 1-4.

Any suggestions about this strange behavior in JMP is welcome, I’ll try to export my scene from jme and import it into jmp to just get sure it has nothing to do with the terrain.
  1. Its a point light thats moved along with the cam and no, you cannot change the parameters
  2. I guess because the light moves
  3. What?

Being able to edit a vertex buffer (so basically a long list of vectors) doesn’t make much sense, we’d have to implement a full mesh editor which a) involves quite some work and b) will never be better than dedicated tools, so best use a 3d editor to edit your meshes.

No, not edit. Just display the properties ( like normals=true, tangents=false…) .

I tried the shader with different mesh sizes and found out that it has problems with too big meshes. Too bigmeans for my setup ( nvidia gtx 460m) 33 by 33 vertices!? The shader uses normal and tangent buffers,which I had not thought to be that much. 129 by 129 seems to be totally blowing it.