Particles or individual objects?

Hey guys. So I’m going to be attempting to visualize a LOT of data that we use at my office (really can’t go into details beyond that). What my end goal of my project is is to visualize this data in real time from 1 location to another. I already have a mechanism to GET the data (separate thread etc.) but I’m slightly confounded as to how to represent each piece of data visually. I was debating between 2 methods.

1. Use a particle
  2. Use a very small model/object/geometry

My understanding (which may be flawed) is that particles use way less memory overall. But I’m not seeing a way to specify an exact path (I have the path being calculated using a bezier curve). On the other hand I know I can specify a path for an object (huzzah!) but there’ll be in the realm of thousands of objects at any given time (possibly more) so trying to handle all of that may be a bit cumbersome.

What are your thoughts on this?

Also is this really the area for me to ask this sort of question? I mean sure it’s a support request but more for a general question/guidance… Just trying to not clutter up the board that should have actual errors or whatever.

You should definitely use billboards and / or particles to display this amount of units. Given that each one is probably only a few pixels large when zooming out having a fully textured hires model for each would certainly not be efficient :slight_smile:
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless theres emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

1 Like
@normen said: You should definitely use billboards and / or particles to display this amount of units. Given that each one is probably only a few pixels large when zooming out having a fully textured hires model for each would certainly not be efficient :) The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless theres emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

Awesome! Thanks :slight_smile:

Side note: Do you really get called out that often that you need that disclaimer there? Sheesh. Some people have no sense of humor.

You’ve not seen his posting style :wink:

The alternative would be to use a custom mesh (remember meshes don’t need to be continuous) and a vertex colour material. (You might even be able to use a material that just shows the points although that’s not something I’ve ever investigated).

You could cluster X points in each custom mesh and split them appropriately between meshes.

@zarch said: You've not seen his posting style ;)

lol meow. I have seen his posts. Just curious if he got lots of people getting all offended. Oh well.

Interesting idea btw. I’ll have to give it a shot after I try the billboard one. But a single vertex would work too since I really only want to show a little speck moving for the most part.

Well it has been. Now, with the caution added to each post, there are fewer complaints ;-).

@Normen seems often hard, sometimes nasty, but he is not. He is very helpful and full of knowledge ! And very patient…

About the original question, you’ll find hard to have full control on how particles are moving.
IMO you’d better go with objects and use a BatchNode to make them a single or few objects. Y’oull be able to use any control on each element and make it behave like it should. You could even add a billboard control to make them face the camera as Normen suggested.