Physics hardware

This may interest some of you…

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050308_214530.html

Any comments ?

Chman

I think that in a game, graphics and physics are equally important - with just pretty graphics, a game becomes dull and static.

This is a step in the right direction I think, though games targetting it will need to work with computers that hasn’t got it too.

this is good and well…just like the sun console that no one ever bought :wink:

You need to buy some accessory for physics, which to be honest, i can’t afford. Graphics card, sound card, keyboard and mouse are all what you should need to run a game.

I mean if they have a Physics hardware…why not an AI hardware too? 8-O Takes the pressure of the CPU to do AI routines like pathfinding or whatever.

If this PhysX gets integrated into nVidia or ATI or whatever, im all for it! But this is more likely to be a dream which someone took too far.

DP

Right, it should be just something that, if you have it, gives you a speed boost in games supporting it.

"DarkProphet" wrote:
I mean if they have a Physics hardware...why not an AI hardware too? 8-O Takes the pressure of the CPU to do AI routines like pathfinding or whatever.

I thought about the AI hardware... Imagine you play a game with an AI card. Characters would be very intelligent ! But would they be dumb is you don't have the AI card ? :P

If this PhysX gets integrated into nVidia or ATI or whatever, im all for it! But this is more likely to be a dream which someone took too far.

And i'm for it too, although it could reduce the card bandwidth...

Chman