Picking terrain with the mouse

When I try to pick terrain with my mouse, the further off-center that I get off of the chunk of terrain, the further off my mouse is from my ‘mark’.

The code I am using to try to attempt this:

[java] if (name.equals(“Shoot”)) {

fpsText.setText(“Shooting!”);

CollisionResults results = new CollisionResults();

Vector2f click2d = inputManager.getCursorPosition();

Vector3f click3d = cam.getWorldCoordinates(new Vector2f(click2d.x, click2d.y), 0f).clone();

Vector3f dir = cam.getWorldCoordinates(new Vector2f(click2d.x, click2d.y), 1f).subtractLocal(click3d);

dir.subtractLocal(click3d).normalizeLocal();

Ray ray = new Ray(click3d, dir);

//Ray ray = new Ray(cam.getLocation(), cam.getDirection());

rootNode.collideWith(ray, results);

if (results.size() > 0) {

if (!result.getGeometry().getName().equals(“MARK”)) {

CollisionResult closest = results.getClosestCollision();

mark.setLocalTranslation(closest.getContactPoint());

rootNode.attachChild(mark);

}

} else {

rootNode.detachChild(mark);

}

}

[/java]

I am not sure why it is ‘marking’ further off the larger the distance is from the center; I get the same results with a Box-shaped Geometry, unless I take off the line dir.subtractLocal(click3d).normalizeLocal(); .

your direction vector looks a bit funky, try using this …

[java]Vector3f origin = main.getCamera().getWorldCoordinates(main.getInputManager().getCursorPosition(), 0.0f);

Vector3f direction = main.getCamera().getWorldCoordinates(main.getInputManager().getCursorPosition(), 0.3f);

direction.subtractLocal(origin).normalizeLocal();[/java]

Ah, that is a lot more readable and works to fix the problem, thanks :slight_smile:

Is there a reason that the other code works on a Box-shaped Geometry without the normalization?

perhaps because you were subtracting click3d twice, and you were commenting out the second occurrence while commenting out the localize, I think the double subtraction was your issue.

Yes, it was the subtraction of click3d twice that was doing it. Thank you!