Please help test the new jMonkeyEngine SDK installer!

Hey,

I have tweaked the NetBeans installer creator enough so now we can use it for the next SDK release. A nice thing about it is size reduction from 125MB(zip) to 82MB due to pack200 jar re-compression!

Please check if these installers work on your platform and report back if there were any problems.
Some known issues are listed here: http://netbeans.org/community/releases/69/relnotes.html#known_issues-installer

Dont update this test version via the update center, the included development versions are actually newer than the update center versions. A new installer with correct versions will be made when alpha-2 comes out, this is really just about the installer :).

Also, could you please check where jMP creates your configuration files and report that. Normally that should be ${HOME}/.jmonkeyplatform/var/.

Config file location listing
Windows7: C:Users<username>AppDataRoaming.jmonkeyplatform
Windows7 (alt): C:Users$USER.jmonkeyplatform
MacOSX: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/jmonkeyplatform
Ubuntu:  /home/<username>/.jmonkeyplatform

Cheers,
Normen

works like a charm on mac os x…

excellent work…

well done…

Works great on Windows 7 - nice work

Im now able to run the CharacterPhysicsTest.java file :smiley:

Im using Vista!

PWNAGE! :smiley:

u rock!!

Tho it hogged up when I did a new package with another package inside it.

Added the request to the first post but I'll bump my thread with the request as well:

Could you please check where jMP creates your configuration files and report that. Normally that should be ${HOME}/.jmonkeyplatform/var/, so on Windows7 probably C:UserDocuments and Settings.jmonkeyplatformvar. On MacOSX, its /Users/username/Library/Application Support/jmonkeyplatform.

Thanks,

Normen

Tested the linux installer on Ubuntu 10.04, 2.6.32-24-generic, x86, it works.

The settings folders are created in /home/[user name]/.jmonkeyplatform

The uninstaller also works.

Like mentioned earlier it seemed to work fine on an XP Pro 64-bit. Now I've tested it on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit and it installed and ran just fine. Dunno how to uninstall it if I can't find it in Synaptic or the Software Center though.

I found a "uninstall.sh" script in the directory of the program and running that uninstalled everything.

Duuuuuh… found it, thanks :stuck_out_tongue: Worked perfectly.

normen said:

Please check if these installers work on your platform and report back if there were any problems.

Installation was successful on Windows 7 64-bit.

normen said:

Also, could you please check where jMP creates your configuration files and report that.

In my .jmonkeyplatform folder is a "dev" folder, inside are two folders: "config", "var", and build.properties. The configuration files seem to be in the "config" directory, not in the "var" directory. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Just installed jMP on Windows x64; works fine, but a couple of comments.

1. It installs to Program Files by default, instead of Program Files (x86), which is where 32-bit programs should be installed in Windows 7 x64.
  2. It installs to jmonkeyplatform; jMonkeyPlatform looks neater.
  3. The installer seems to leave some unneeded files at C:UsersAdministrator.jmonkeyplatform-installer, not sure if they can be deleted.

Btw, the configuration files on Windows 7 are at C:Users$USER.jmonkeyplatform
InfernoZeus said:

1) It installs to Program Files by default, instead of Program Files (x86), which is where 32-bit programs should be installed in Windows 7 x64.
2) It installs to jmonkeyplatform; jMonkeyPlatform looks neater.
3) The installer seems to leave some unneeded files at C:UsersAdministrator.jmonkeyplatform-installer, not sure if they can be deleted.

1) Is a limitation of the exe stub that launches the app, its 32bit so it starts on any (32bit/64bit) platform.. Is it really the 32bit java runtime that is used on windows? It should be displayed in the "about" screen of the app. On OSX, it automatically uses the 64bit one if its available.
2) Is a limitation of the installer maker, probably to avoid problems on systems that are case sensitive.. I also dont like it, maybe it can be tweaked.
3) I *think* these files are used by the uninstall process and for tracking the versioning (the installer should warn you if you try to install an older version of jMP because of that info stored there)

Thanks for testing @all!
Normen