Popups in ubuntu won't open

I’m using Ubuntu 14.04 and Jmonkey official SDK
When I’m trying to open some windows in the SDK usually I get a white screen, see the image . Then I need to close it and click again to open. Sometimes even this isn’t enough and I have to do more complex tricks…
I don’t sure if it’s Netbeans or Jmonkey SDK issue (or my ubuntu system), I’m pretty new to this IDE.

Might have to do with the LAF on Ubuntu:

After adding the command “–laf javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel” to jmonkeyplatform.conf file I’m getting a “laf: not found” message at the console. So I don’t think I’m using LAF at all.

Yes you do, otherwise you wouldn’t see any UI at all, maybe try javax.swing.plaf.nimbus.NimbusLookAndFeel then.

Yeah, now I’m getting you’re right .I’ve tried changing the laf to Nimbus or Metal (and it does changed the look) but doesn’t solved the issue… Any other ideas?

Did you try the other suggestions in the troubleshooting doc?

Ok yeah, I changed the jdk path to open-jdk7 and it solved my problem (and some other issues I’ve had with the SDK). I suppose other Ubuntu users can have similar difficulties because of the default jdk use.

Or it doesn’t. for some time it was smooth but then started again to work funny. I’ve got this exception when tried to open some window but it doesn’t do anything at all:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Window must not be zero at sun.awt.X11.WindowPropertyGetter.<init>(WindowPropertyGetter.java:56) at sun.awt.X11.WindowPropertyGetter.<init>(WindowPropertyGetter.java:73) at sun.awt.X11.XlibUtil.isToplevelWindow(XlibUtil.java:304) at sun.awt.X11.XWindowPeer.setToplevelTransientFor(XWindowPeer.java:1583) at sun.awt.X11.XWindowPeer.addToTransientFors(XWindowPeer.java:1732) at sun.awt.X11.XWindowPeer.setModalBlocked(XWindowPeer.java:1519) at sun.awt.X11.XDialogPeer.blockWindows(XDialogPeer.java:122) at java.awt.Dialog.blockWindows(Dialog.java:1576) at java.awt.Dialog.modalShow(Dialog.java:1453) at java.awt.Dialog.conditionalShow(Dialog.java:922) at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:1043) at org.netbeans.core.windows.services.NbPresenter.superShow(NbPresenter.java:1076) at org.netbeans.core.windows.services.NbPresenter.doShow(NbPresenter.java:1126) at org.netbeans.core.windows.services.NbPresenter.run(NbPresenter.java:1098) at org.netbeans.core.windows.services.NbPresenter.run(NbPresenter.java:128) at org.openide.util.Mutex.doEventAccess(Mutex.java:1363) at org.openide.util.Mutex.readAccess(Mutex.java:273) at org.netbeans.core.windows.services.NbPresenter.show(NbPresenter.java:1083) at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1655) at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1607) at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Window.java:1014) at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Dialog.java:1005) at org.netbeans.modules.debugger.ui.actions.BreakpointCustomizeAction$BreakpointAwareAction.customize(BreakpointCustomizeAction.java:268) at org.netbeans.modules.debugger.ui.actions.BreakpointCustomizeAction$BreakpointAwareAction.actionPerformed(BreakpointCustomizeAction.java:145) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2018) at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2341) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:376) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:833) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:877) at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6516) at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3311) at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6281) at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2229) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4872) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2287) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4698) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4832) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4492) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4422) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2273) at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2719) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4698) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:735) at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(EventQueue.java:103) at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:694) at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:692) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76) at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87) at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:708) at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:706) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:705) at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:159) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:242) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:161) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:150) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:146) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:138) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:91)

Thats why we ship with Oracles Java, OpenJDK always caused issues with lwjgl among other things. Dunno what problem Ubuntu has with Oracles JDK though, maybe you can try a more recent version of Oracles JDK from their homepage.

yes, I moved to oracle 8 (from open JDK 7), and seems that it solved my problem.
thanks for helping :slight_smile:

I did not have any problems with OpenJDK6 or OpenJDK7 (I use Oracle JDK 8 now, because Java 8 rocks.)

What graphics hardware and which drivers are you using?
I have seen similar behaviour with a slightly wrong AMD driver version on my notebook.
(Fixed it by installing a different driver version from the amd website)

As your error is also from X11, it sounds like it could be from your GPU drivers.

Of course simply using Oracle JDK seems to work for you,
so you don’t have to change your drivers. But if you have more problems, that’s probably the place to look!