Pororocas - Surf differently

Hi everyone,

I finally finished my study project. I had to develop a 3D game which uses the Nintendo Wii Balance Board to control the player. The game-story and everything around it was free to me.

I came up with the idea of a surfing game on the amazonas :wink:

The player stands on the balance board and controls his surfing board with it. On the way he gets attacked by several enemies (crocodiles, yellow fishes, piranhas …). If he can reach the finish line he wins and the time + playername is saved in the highscore list.

You can take a closer look at www.mareike-stier.de  . Only problem is, that it is in german. But there are enough pictures :wink: Video might also be published soon!

Now it’s time to thank all the helpers in this forum! You really helped me out alot!!!

RapidM

Hehe,…good job! What I would be interested in. You said you got the models from http://www.3DXtras.com . Are they somehow animated? And if yes which importer/exporter did you use for that?

ToM

BTW: Greetings "from around the corner" (Trier)

very cool work :slight_smile: congrats!

coole sache :slight_smile:

jep, seh ich auch so :wink:

nice work!

The overall graphics looks good.

What is your opinion about the BalanceBoard as Inputdevice?

Is it's sensibility sufficient for an intuitive controll of the surfboard?

I'm looking forward to use the BalanceBoard together with the wii motion plus for the next project.

Sehr cool!

But you did not port the engine to Wii, right? ^^

A video would be very cool!

Oh… why only three stars and not five? ^^

It was really easy to integrade the balance board to this engine. maybe i can write a little tutorial on how to do that!

@.:emp…imm0|82:.  I think the balance board can be used for so many games! The possiblities are huge. I presented my game at our university a couple of weeks ago and a lot of people were impressed with the controlling of the surfer :slight_smile:

The connection was stable all day long (6 hours). And the game speed did not suffer in any way.

Good job!  Can't wait for the videos and tutorial.  XD

RapidM said:

It was really easy to integrade the balance board to this engine. maybe i can write a little tutorial on how to do that!
would definitely be appreciated!

This looks great man, definitely a mentionworthy project ;) Also thanks should go out to you for clearly pointing out on your landing page already that jME has a big role in this project.

The balance board definitely has untapped potential. Our instructors at VFS are constantly pestering us to think of innovative ways to utilize all of Wii's different accessories, and there's been some really neat ideas floating around. It's hard without actual access to all these gadgets though!
That's a nice exhaustive tutorial set up there, and it's all English! For jME community especially or are you hoping to attract an international audience?

I thought english would be best for jME people ;)

What I would be interested in. You said you got the models from http://www.3DXtras.com . Are they somehow animated? And if yes which importer/exporter did you use for that?
They are static models with .obj format. I converted them with the jME ModelLoader to .jme format and then loaded them into the game. While the player is moving the models face him all the time. Additionally to that I check the distance between the position of the player and the model. I defined 3 ranges. Just looking, attacking (moving fast towards the player) and following (a little bit slower)...

RapidM

I put a little tutorial on my side. You can check it out here: http://mareike-stier.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=59

This looks great man...

I am female ;)

RapidM
RapidM said:

I am female ;)
Please accept my humblest apologies, madam.

That's a nice exhaustive tutorial set up there, and it's all English! For jME community especially or are you hoping to attract an international audience? Aww I wish I had a wiiboard...
erlend_sh said:

RapidM said:

I am female ;)
Please accept my humblest apologies, madam.

Lol. Your game seems to be nice, I'll give it a try.

Great work… The site art and design looks very cool and lighthearted.  :wink: When is the promised video comming?

Keep it up!  XD