Porting Netcode to work with jME

Well, hello!

I'm new to pretty everything here, including the forum and I instantly come up with some newbie questions. Hope somebody can help me :slight_smile:

Me and a friend of mine are trying to write a round based strategy game. Huge project for 2 ppl but that's not the point…

We started our project without any 3D engine because we were like "Fuck graphics, it's all about DEPTH!!!11"… Well, we built pretty much everything, menu, host/client screens, gamescreen. We were connected, looking at our game and we were like "Fuck. We need at least SOME decent graphics…"

So, along comes jME and we are pretty amazed by the features and the ease to use it… The problem is… The old netcode which was working quite well already doesn't work anymore. I am only really doing the graphics for our project and have limited knowledge of Java but I am learning…

BUT: If I understood my friend correctly, he is using a networking thread which he believes does not exist in jME. I am currently scanning projects like JGN, jMENetworking and stuff to see if we need something like that.

Long story short… How does one use "normal" java code sending messages from a to a server in a jME project without messing up everything?

NOTE: Since our game only really sends data at turns, we do not really need any fancy 3D-synched stuff… which is why I thought porting the old code would be better than trying to get in touch with the JGN/jME Networking stuff so far.

Of course, an answer like: "Well, get your arse up and learn to live with JGN!" would also be appreciated.

"Well, get your arse up and learn to live with JGN!" would also be appreciated.

Actually the JGN stuff is extremely easy to use. I bet you could get something going in your first sitting with it. I would at least look into the examples of it if I were you.  :)

I'm not sure I understand what your friend is referring to about a network thread?  That sounds like something you'd design into your application (which would just happen to also use jME)

What renanse probably already wanted to say: Using jME should not hold you from keeping your "network thread" or any other communication method.

Thx for the replies. We took a look at JGN yesterday and, yeah, I think he was pretty content. Perhaps network code indeed is something I should leave to those who have more than rudimentary Java skills :D.

Hope to be able to present something to you sometime in the next 10 years g.

Okay, well I'll say it!

Get your arse up and learn to live with JGN! :wink:

darkfrog said:

Okay, well I'll say it!

Get your arse up and learn to live with JGN! darkfrog ;)

XD