Post your ideas!

Just read this page and start posting. More information to come soon.

Update: jMonkeyEngine did not make it into GSoC 2010 :frowning:

Note: You'll notice that I split up the current threads a bit to make topical conversation easier. This way newcomers will also have an easier time seeing the active topics being covered already.

Affirming ourselves as a 'solid state', very much alive project

I really like this point! I think this is crucial to the future of jME.

By the way, I have been out of contact for a while (finishing school/moving to new city) and I while reading I get the nagging question roaming in my head: How is jME3 handling the all-time cursed animation/model pipeline? Does it have something other than Ogre XML animations planned?

I remember a lot of discussion and disappointment with earlier jME versions for making it very hard to have anims in the their games. Perhaps this is very important to attract attention?

Cheers!
duenez said:

How is jME3 handling the all-time cursed animation/model pipeline? Does it have something other than Ogre XML animations planned?

OgreXML will be the main import format for jme3, other formats are being looked into. OgreXML is a very neat and clean format, so everything that is not equally "nice" will not be included in jme3. As for the animation "problems" in jme2, they were mostly due to the fact that every model format brought its own animation system. This time in jme3, we want to avoid that at all costs. So there will be only one animation systems and importers for everything that can be made compatible to that.

What normen said. You're not authorized to make your own animation system if you wish your importer to be included in core. In fact we will somehow use softhard patent laws, GPL, and copynorth to crush any individuals making their own animation system for jme3. Of course, you're always welcome to improve and change the built-in jme3 animation system so it works better with more model formats.