Problem grabbing SendText Action from ractoc's ChatBuilder

I’ve been trying to get ractoc’s Chat Box control to work with nifty gui (thanks for developing that by the way!) and I’m have trouble grabbing the event from the EventBus. The relevant parts of my code look like this:

[java]
panel(new PanelBuilder(“chatIdPanel”) {{
childLayoutCenter();
valignCenter();
height(“100%”);
width(“300”);
control(new ChatBuilder(“chatId”, 14) {{
sendLabel(“Send Message”);
}});

}});

[/java]

Here’s a block of code I use to add a player to the chat, and it works fine.
[java]
NiftyImage newImage = nifty.getRenderEngine().createImage(“Interface/Interface_intro.jpg”, false); // false means don’t linear filter the image, true would apply linear filtering
final Element chatPanel = nifty.getCurrentScreen().findElementByName(“chatIdPanel”);
final Chat chat = chatPanel.findNiftyControl(“chatId”, Chat.class);
//chat.receivedChatLine(“text”, newImage);
chat.addPlayer(“player”, newImage);

[/java]

Here’s where I’m trying to grab the event from the EventBus with annotations:

[java]
@NiftyEventSubscriber(id=“chatId”)
public final void onSendText(final String id, final ChatTextSendEvent event) {
//if (!(event.getText()).isEmpty()) {
System.out.println("chat event received: " + event.getText());
NiftyImage newImage = nifty.getRenderEngine().createImage(“Interface/Interface_intro.jpg”, false); // false means don’t linear filter the image, true would apply linear filtering

final Element chatPanel = nifty.getCurrentScreen().findElementByName("chatIdPanel");
    final Chat chatController = chatPanel.findNiftyControl("chatId", Chat.class);
    chatController.receivedChatLine("player" +">" + event.getText(), newImage);
   // }
}[/java] 

I thought maybe I had to register an event with the control, but the docs say I don’t. Any ideas on what I’m missing here? I also have a custom Controller that I got from the docs as well if that is relevant.

[java]
public class MyStartScreen extends AbstractAppState implements ScreenController
[/java]

Thanks in advance!