Problem : no phong shader

ok, hello (again. I know, sorry :stuck_out_tongue: ) everybody.

I have a little problem with my game : i don’t have any phong effect.

Look at this picture (i removed the hud :stuck_out_tongue: )

http://79.82.51.113/images/image1.png

(hosted by myself as all image hosting websites have terrible licence that allow them to do everything and the rest with it :slight_smile: )

However, when i create simple program with only a ball (created with the mesh Sphere) in it, the shader just works fine. But, if i load my model and use it instead of the ball, i get this result.

So, it’s not a problem with the material.
I think that the problem is about normals, but i am not sure about it. I thought that the phong shader would have soften angle with a “certain” angle (that i could set for exemple).
When i try to create normals with the TangentBinormalGenerator i get a lot or message saying:

WARNING: Angle between tangents exceeds tolerance for vertex ***

Also (2 question in 1) is it possible to add the toon shader with the phong shader ? To have large uniform soft areas and fat and bold lines between them. I think that the effect can be nice enough to save me a lot of time (about textures) :slight_smile:

Click the smooth shading button in Object mode in Blender (I assume your issue is about the flat shading)

1 Like

ok, it was just that and it worked perfectly.

To add a bit more information, even if it’s easily foundable :

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Meshes/Smoothing

i didn’t succeed in applying the smooth myself but it was ok with the auto-smoothing part :slight_smile:

Thanks again, i had this problem for a while.

@bubuche said: (hosted by myself as all image hosting websites have terrible licence that allow them to do everything and the rest with it :) )

False.

Imgur

…unless you can point out the bad parts. But I’m pretty sure you are reading the “bad parts” wrong.

@pspeed said: False.

Imgur

…unless you can point out the bad parts. But I’m pretty sure you are reading the “bad parts” wrong.

Nothing wrong about self hosting tho. If it’s not using a self signed certificate it’s fine also.

@Empire Phoenix said: Nothing wrong about self hosting tho. If it's not using a self signed certificate it's fine also.

Sure, but I object to the potential misinformation when it’s already a struggle to get people to use a decent image host.

Plus, just a guess, but I suspect imgur.com will be around longer than a personal IP address. Though I guess maybe people thought the same thing about geocities a decade ago. :wink: (Edit: realizing it’s getting closer to two decades ago. :-/)

What is geocities? ^^

1 Like
@Empire Phoenix said: What is geocities? ^^

Lol… whether you’re joking or not does not matter. I already feel old. :slight_smile:

Used to be the place where nearly every self-hosted thing ended up. “back in the day”, 9 times out of 10, that’s where the interesting game dev “how to” stuff was.

I remember having a Playstation 1 game cheats website with geo cities :slight_smile:

To be honest, i wasn’t even joking :wink:
Back then I had no internet

@Empire Phoenix said: To be honest, i wasn't even joking ;) Back then I had no internet

Well, in college (at University for non-USians), I played the original “Rogue” on a VAX over a 300 baud modem… and to some crowds that’s not even ‘old school’. But it does “date me” properly. :wink:

Aside: the university had four 1200 baud dial-up lines. If you managed to get one, you stayed on it as long as possible. If someone in the house picked up the phone causing your connection to drop then there was a beating to be delivered. I remember one time I lost my 1200 connection and there were no 300s left either and I had to drive to the computer lab to finish my project.

You kids with your “interwebz”! “Get off my lawn!”