Problem with Tutorial (5) – Hello Input System

Hello

I am very new to jMonkey, so please bear with me. I have tried to research beforehand and searched for similar issues, but unsuccessful.

I am having trouble with getting Tutorial (5) - Hello Input System to work.

I have made a new project and copied the sample code in there. When I run the program I am only able to move the box for ~1-2 seconds before it becomes stuck. It starts moving veeeeeeeeeeeery slowly.

While debugging I found that both the value and tpf parameter in onAnalog(String name, float value, float tpf) becomes 0.0 after very short time. The value parameter is used to calculate the movement so naturally, it prevents me from spinning the box. If i print value and tpf in onAnalog it outputs mostly 0.0 but sometimes 0.001, which would explain why it is moving so slow.

This is done on Windows 7 and I am experiencing the same issues on MAC OS X. It is however working on Ubuntu, but I would like to be able to work at home as well :slight_smile:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What FPS do you get? Does it work if you turn vsync on?

Oh, and what version of JME are you running? The ancient stock beta 3 or a recent stable update?

I am getting 999 fps and vsync did not seem to help.

For all three operating systems I just downloaded the ones I found on the download page. Which would be jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.0beta.

Which is the latest staple release? 2.01 seems to be the latest one I can find which is from 2009.

@andersnk said:
I am getting 999 fps and vsync did not seem to help.

For all three operating systems I just downloaded the ones I found on the download page. Which would be jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.0beta.
Which is the latest staple release? 2.01 seems to be the latest one I can find which is from 2009.

when you run the SDK it should tell you there are updates and there will be a little update icon in the lower right. OR you can go to Tools->Plugins and update.

There have been a bunch of fixes since the base beta went out.
1 Like

Oh wow, completely missed that. That should prolly fix it. Thanks a bunch.

@andersnk said:
Oh wow, completely missed that. That should prolly fix it. Thanks a bunch.

Or it will move the problem or make it more visible. :) I hope for your optimism. :)

It’s working. Thanks again!