Problems importing from Blender 2.63a to jme3.0beta

I have followed all of the tutorials, such as these:

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3#tutorials_for_beginners

and can get the ninja to show up, or load town.zip properly.

However, I cannot export anything properly from Blender 2.63a using the ogrexml script (blender2Ogre-0.5.7-preview1), not even the default cube. I continually get this error:

Jul 05, 2012 1:48:39 PM com.jme3.app.Application handleError

SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.readObject(BinaryImporter.java:334)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:264)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:147)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:131)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:243)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:376)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:386)

at mygame.Main.simpleInitApp(Main.java:84)

What am I missing?

Blender changed the internal formats of their files in a breaking way when they changed from 2.62 to 2.63. You can either do a “save as” in blender, tick “legacy mesh format” and then use the blender importer … or if you use the latest nightly SDK the blender importer in that supports the new mesh format.

(Or save in legacy format, downgrade blender to 2.62 then do the ogre export from that).

If I try to go the 2.63 legacy mesh format route, I run into the uint64_t problem with the jme3.0beta (mentioned elsewhere on the forums).

If I try to go the nightly SDK route, I can’t download the nightlies because of the Tools->Plugins->…SDK Nightlies…Reload Catalog… PluginInstaller hangs while downloading (mentioned elsewhere on the forums).

I will try downgrading to Blender 2.62.

Thanks!

I CAN download the nightlies directly from the website in a large zip file, but I haven’t found any info on how I can manually install a nightly into the platform directory from a zip file.

I switched to Blender 2.62 and used the blender2ogre-0.5.5 add-on for blender to produce the mesh.xml and material, then added it to Models. It loaded without crashing, which is the furthest I’ve gotten so far.

Now I only need to figure out why the background color shows up but I can’t see my models. :slight_smile:

add a light

The light was there, but my material was misnamed and the scale wasn’t big enough.

Everything is working great now, thanks for the help.