Problems running first examples

Hi there!

I am very impressed with the jMonkey project, however when I try to run the first examples given in the getting started guide using the command:

java -Djava.library.path=./lib -cp ./lib/jinput.jar:./lib/lwjgl.jar:./lib/lwjgl_util_applet.jar:./lib/jogg-0.0.7.jar:./lib/jorbis-0.0.15.jar:./target/jme.jar:./target/jmetest.jar:./target/jmetest-data.jar jmetest.renderer.TestDisk

I obtain (after pressing Ok on the appearing Select Display Settings window) the following error:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/jmex/awt/lwjgl/LWJGLCanvas

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLSystemProvider.getDisplaySystem(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.system.DisplaySystem.getDisplaySystem(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.system.DisplaySystem.getDisplaySystem(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLPropertiesDialog.verifyAndSaveCurrentSelection(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLPropertiesDialog.access$200(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLPropertiesDialog$3.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1882)

I am using Java version 1.5.0_07 on Mac OS X 10.4 (Intel). I have seen one other post related to that problem (see http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=25922f0ec4b4956ec824217b7e7d154f&topic=3433.msg26884 ), however I did not want to follow the workaround mentioned there of switching all the way to using Eclipse.

Running the main example jmetest.effects.TestDynamicSmoker

leads to the error

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/jmex/effects/particles/ParticleMesh

Maybe my distro is incomplete? I just checked it out with cvs checkout as described in the  getting started tutorial (I had to skip cvs login though, it lead to errors relating to a missing .cvspass file).

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Eckart

Hi eckart

There seem to be some .jar's missing on Your classpath (if You use the latest version) jme-awt.jar and some others which should be in ./target if

You build using the provided build.xml

Great, after including all 25 jar files from the lib and target directories, I can run the examples!

If I may suggest though, it would be helpful to provide a little script or an ant task for launching the examples. Also, the getting started guide needs some updating, there are a number of small inaccuracies:

1. The login step for cvs should for some cvs versions (>= 1.1) be skipped, it leads to a confusing error message related to a misssing .cvspass file
  2. The class path given for running examples is written with semicolons, while OS X and Unix systems require ":" (colons).
  3. The class path is outdated with respect to jar file version numbers and does not contain all required jar files.

Anyways, in the big scheme of things these are probably minor issues. Thanks again for the help!

Eckart
it would be helpful to provide a little script or an ant task for launching the examples

that would be "run_testchooser" in the build.xml targets  :)

If You refer to the getting startet guide on the wiki ... well it's a wiki  ;) so feel free to correct it.