Problem's with Ubuntu 10.04

Hey guys,

I’ve just started looking at jMonkeyEngine, and I’m very keen to start working with it, but I’ve had a number of problems and I was hoping you guys could help.

I’m running a desktop computer, with 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 and have installed the jmonkeyengine3-alpha sdk.

A problem I had up until just now, was that the menu’s along the top (File, Edit etc) would only flicker open for a second before disappearing again, so navigating them was only possible using the keyboard shortcuts. I’ve resolved this by removing gnome-shell, which I had previously been using, so that problem is solved, and theres the solution if anyone with a similar problem stumbles upon this.

My major problem now, is that the 3d display doesn’t appear. With a fresh install, it appears and seems to work fine until I close the jMonkeyPlatform, after which it gives me an error message about drivers whenever I open it, and the display doesn’t come up.

Running glxinfo I got the following information:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 9800 GT/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL version string: 3.2.0 NVIDIA 195.36.24

OpenGL shading language version string: 1.50 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

So my version string seems to support openGL 2.0, as requested.

I found a forum post elsewhere (The link for which is on my laptop, not my desktop, otherwise I’d post it) that suggested going to tools>plugins and enabling the nightly SDK. I did that, and after updating everything and restarting, I now have a host of errors as follows:

Error in scene!

(java.lang.IllegalStateException: Display not created)

Error in Scene!

(java.lang.IllegalStateException: Keyboard must be created before you can poll the device)

Error in Scene!

(org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: X Error - disp 0x1af1b90 serial: 49 error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) request_code:1 minor_code:0)

I’ll try restarting/reinstalling now, but if anyone has a solution, I’d be super glad to hear it!

undock scene viewer and close it. Open the scene viewer only when you need to make something with models. Scene viewer is buggy on linux.

hope it will help.

I just reinstalled (Ran the uninstall script, then manually deleted the jmonkeyproject, and the two jmonkey folders beginning with a ‘.’ in my home folder.

After reinstalling, it seems to work fine. I opened and closed it a few times, and it went perfectly. Then, when I set it to update to the nightly edition it stopped working.

However, I’ve run into another problem. Normally I’d be able to work with the non-nightly edition, since the scene viewer seemed to be working at that point. But the test project doesn’t work.

So after updating to the nightly version, I was hoping the test project would be working, but it has a build error. I’m pretty sure theres just the one error:

package org.novyon.noise does not exist

Theres a few others, like org.novyon.noise.XXX

But they’re all part of the same package.

These are required for the terrain package.

Can anyone tell me how to install these?

Or, alternatively, is there a way to get the demo’s working without updating to nightly?

You can run single tests in the tests suite by right-clicking them and selecting “Run”, the noise lib is only needed for the grid terrain and yes, the library is not yet added to the default library set.

Edit: Added the noise lib to the libraries in svn, should be in the update center tomorrow.

Thanks man!

Ausome to know the developers are so helpful.

But, for the scene viewer, is there no current workaround? Seems like I can’t use it at all.