Project RealGame

Hello everybody. I started a project some month ago (i don’t remember well) and i am now at a point where i can show you the project without being embarrassed (at least not too much).

The name of the project is “Real” and it’s an obvious reference to “unreal”. The project is a multiplayer fps game with different mods (for now: ctf, dm and jailbreak) but none of them is “perfect” and I am still working on it. This is not even a pre-alpha, as there is still too much work to do on it.

The project is hosted on sourceforge :

https://sourceforge.net/p/realgame

I am the creator of every map/weapon/item/etc. However, I obviously didn’t design the “player” as I am still using the default character.

My plan for the future is to release a more stable version and create a good plugin system to allow the creation of new mods/weapons etc. for everybody. I also want to create a document to explain in details of things work and how to create a new feature/modify an existing feature. However, as my english is really poor, it will be hard (it would be already hard enough in french).

I tried to i18n as much thing as possible, so with only good .properties in the right place the game should use the correct language smoothly.

The main reason why i do this post is because i am getting crazy to work all the time on it for so long and nobody know it.

I’ll post some screen capture tomorrow.

2 Likes

Ok, i added some screenshots on the page of the project:

The screen with green lasers is a bit cheaty as i slowed down the speed of the “bullets” to be able to take the screen shot.

The screen about the ui has a text in french in it, but it’s because my english is too poor to translate it correctly. Plus, as i am not sure that i’ll keep this “description” in the futur (i didn’t fix a background yet) i didn’t spend too much time on it.

There is a lot more than on these screens, but as i am fighting against blender (and nifty-gui) i don’t have much time to advertise my “product”.

I am still working on it (you can see the commits).
The client is always the hard part, as i have a lot of problem with third part tools.

Ok, i’ll post next updates in a week, so i have some time to continue my work on it.

1 Like

Oh how I miss the old fast fps shooters :slight_smile:

Might I interest you in http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/december-monthly-wip-screenshot-thread/

It’s time to make a little update on my work. I have made a lot of commit last days, as I have again time to develop. So, here is a quick list of features :

(images: RealGame - Browse /screens at SourceForge.net )

• Support for vehicles (currently only a tank but done in a pretty “generic” way, so it should be easy to add more vehicles – and they are coming)
• Support for cosmetic stuff like the color for teams. See images.
• Abilities. Right now you only have the handbomb, the shield and the “opaque shield” (which only block the view), but, again, it’s generic enough to allow more type of abilities. And they are coming (for exemple a “push-back” ability will come). Abilities use shield energy.
• Plates. Basically you can trigger effect when something is on it. You have now a teleport plate and some “change ability” plates. The teleport works with ability (you can throw a grenade through a teleporter).
• Basic animation stuff is here. I still need an animated model of a “soldier” (or a robot or anything with “run with a weapon” animation) though.
• Tchat. Actually, it’s almost just an echo implementation (the naming stuff is NOT done by the server), and you have a “sub” protocole shared by client. For exemple, if you say “#nick something”, it means (to other player) that your name is now “something”, but there is no guarantee that they will accept it. You could even locally rename them, it wouldn’t change anything.
• Weapons. Right now, you have only three weapons: the assault rifle, the shotgun and the plasma gun. This last one use the energy of your shield (like abilities). It’s hard to see it on pictures, but you have some very detailed weapons, even if they don’t have textures (for most of them).
• Maps. Of course. The i18n sucks a bit here (I added it in the xml, but I realize now that it would be better with an external .properties files) but for most thing it’s ok. The xml file is pretty declarative (it’s more or less a list of items with their positions etc.).
• Some miscellaneous “funny” stuff, like the “double kill”/”triple kill” messages (when you score 5 kill in a row, you get the message “Jack !”, I let you find why … and, no, it’s NOT politically correct).
• Mods. Currently only 3 mod (jailbreak, death match and capture the flag). Now, as I have vehicles, I will start to create an “onslaught” mod).
• Likely a lot of things I forgot to mention here.

Things I will try to do/I would enjoy to have

• Improve the “end game score screen”. Yeah, the current one sucks.
• Add some voice. Right now, the only voice in the game is a “ah” when you take a hit. It’s harsh, ugly, etc. I would enjoy to have some nice feminine voice too (for “double kill” etc. stuff for example).
• More “impact” textures. I have only one, and I use it for every weapon. I would like to have one impact per couple material/weapon (not material in the 3D sense, more in “physics” sense).
• More weapons, more vehicles, more maps, more abilities… you get it.
• Fix some rare and random bug with the physics engine. They happen very rarely and it’s pretty boring.
• Find a girlfriend. No link with the game, just saying .
• Add the “mutator” thing. It’s maybe a bit late however :’(
• Have a look at the “bot/ia” thing.
• Have a look at the “story mod” thing.
• Have a look at the “script” thing.
• Add boobies. Because we are all fratboys.
• Add shaders, and create some shader myself. For a reason I don’t know, I just can’t get them in my mind, it’s just like they are magical. You know, if you say to a programmer “hey, in this language you have to declare magic global variables with the good type and some mystic value will be put into them” you’ll kill it. Not to mention “hey, it’s highly hardware dependent, you can’t do things sequentially (like pseudo-random algorithm with a persistent and shared seed) and it’s so C-like that you multiply matrix with the operator *”. I tried to download a shader pack, but when I see a zip of 37 Mb … well … Ok, anyway, I’ll have to do it, so I’ll take the time it needs. I, for example, want a post-processing whole-screen filter that performs a movement-based vision. Maybe with an embossment approach, I don’t know.
• Add planets. Yeah, there is a light scattering shader out there, and working pretty well. But, once again, a file used by this shader is 17mb, so …
• Add a story. Actually, I already have a story, but I need to translate it in english.
• Find testers.
• Put the keybinding in a .properties file and/or create a menu in-game to change keybindings.
• Learn english.
• A lot of other things.

I do everything myself, from the 3D modelling of weapons/vehicles/arenas to the sound, the skybox etc. So, it’s slow, and I can’t be good everywhere.

Happy new year to everyone !!!

2 Likes

Note: If you put the images up on imgur.com and past them properly then it won’t take so many clicks for us to see them.

Ok, i’ll clarify the situation once and for all about imgur. You have this in the tos :

you grant Imgur a non-exclusive, royalty- free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content

I will not give any “perpetual irrevocable” licence.

Plus, you have this

By downloading a file or other content from the Imgur site, you agree that you will not use such file or other content except for personal, non-commercial purposes
And you can have a nice read of it. For exemple, if i upload an image, then use it (the same image) in my commercial project, they can sue me and i'll have to prove that i didn't re-download my image from their site. And it's impossible to prove that.

I wish i had an optic fiber to host pictures myself :confused: (not really possible with my adsl)

i think the second statement is more geared towards people who stumble into images hosted on imgur, theyre bassicaly not giving redistirbution rights to their licenced content.

generally thoguh im pretty sure almost all TOS and eula agreements are unenforcable. Just as much as you cant prove you didnt re-download an image, they cant even prove who uploaded it in the first place, or if the person who uploaded it even had the legal power to transfer a licence to them to use the image. and even if all this could be proved, the cost in lawyers wouldnt make sense in what they could get out of it.

@bubuche said: Ok, i'll clarify the situation once and for all about imgur. You have this in the tos :

Plus, you have this

And you can have a nice read of it. For exemple, if i upload an image, then use it (the same image) in my commercial project, they can sue me and i’ll have to prove that i didn’t re-download my image from their site. And it’s impossible to prove that.

I wish i had an optic fiber to host pictures myself :confused: (not really possible with my adsl)

I’m glad you finally posted the part you had issues with and here is the important part you removed: “With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site”

With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant Imgur a non-exclusive, royalty- free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content.

In other words, if you upload to the public gallery then they will of course have rights to show it to the public.

Otherwise, your private images are as private as you make them and you don’t give up any copyright.

Really, their terms are excellent.

@bubuche said: And you can have a nice read of it. For exemple, if i upload an image, then use it (the same image) in my commercial project, they can sue me and i'll have to prove that i didn't re-download my image from their site. And it's impossible to prove that.

Regarding this, you are incorrect. You do not give up your own copyright just because you uploaded it. You just can’t take something you don’t have the copyright for already and use it commercially. Seems reasonable to me.

Even the other paragraph you misinterpreted only grants them a license. You still have the copyrights to your own work. So even if you did upload it to the public part of the site, ie: the gallery, then you still have your own rights to use it how you wish.

actually, while clearly they need to have your permission to post the content on their website (the reason you uploaded it) their license agreement (like most agreements with UGC websites) is so broad and vague that if they were to choose to, they could completely rip your game off. especially with literature like unlimited, irrevocable and rights to create derivative works.

They do that to be as inclusive of all scenarios as possible to cover themselves legally. but they could also use the the licence, to, for instance. create a spin off of your game and use all of your characters and art and ideas etc etc.

though like i said, it would be difficult to enforce the licence agreement., but technically. that is what theyre asking you to agree to when you upload images.

@icamefromspace said: actually, while clearly they need to have your permission to post the content on their website (the reason you uploaded it) their license agreement (like most agreements with UGC websites) is so broad and vague that if they were to choose to, they could completely rip your game off. especially with literature like unlimited, irrevocable and rights to create derivative works.

They do that to be as inclusive of all scenarios as possible to cover themselves legally. but they could also use the the licence, to, for instance. create a spin off of your game and use all of your characters and art and ideas etc etc.

though like i said, it would be difficult to enforce the licence agreement., but technically. that is what theyre asking you to agree to when you upload images.

But they only claim that for stuff posted to the PUBLIC SECTIONS OF THE SITE. Not the stuff you post to share with your friends as private links. I think they are quite clear about that… surprisingly so.

Hi

@bubuche said: I do everything myself, from the 3D modelling of weapons/vehicles/arenas to the sound, the skybox etc. So, it’s slow, and I can’t be good everywhere.
I understand your situation and I agree with you. I prefer modest developers who try to things honestly even though they know they can't design pretty models rather than those who steal famous copyrighted contents to get a wider audience very quickly.

However, I downloaded the JAR, I tried to run your game without success in command line, it didn’t find the main class in the package mygame.

I will definitely be keeping track of this. I will learn a lot from your code as soon as I get a chance to sit down and go through it all.

Sorry (i was sleeping, i just awake now) there is no binary for the game right now, i’ll create (upload) some soon. You just have the whole source code (in the git) and the 2 jar are 2 libs of mine (one is a small add to jme and the other is a whole new approach for the xml, between the SAX and DOM approach, even if i don’t use its full potential in this game).

So, what you have to do if you want to play the game is download the source code (check out from jme, i think it’s possible), then download the 2 lib and link that to the project.

You start the server with the class real.Main and you start the client with real.client.test.TestClient

You move with the numpad, toggle the mouse (usefull if you want to use the tchat) with the left ctrl, jump with the 0 (numpad), switch weapon with the 1, 2, 3 (not the numpad !),use abiltity with G.

Most keybindings are here : real.client.initializers.ActionInGameInitializer (the “throwHandbomb” is “throwAbility” ^^).

@bubuche said: Ok, i'll clarify the situation once and for all about imgur. You have this in the tos :

Plus, you have this

And you can have a nice read of it. For exemple, if i upload an image, then use it (the same image) in my commercial project, they can sue me and i’ll have to prove that i didn’t re-download my image from their site. And it’s impossible to prove that.

SourceForge ToS:

the submitting user grants Dice a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, all subject to the terms of any applicable license.

Actually, most sites where you can “post” stuff for others to see would have this sort of legal babble. Otherwise you can sue the website just by storing your content on their servers.

(Test 3. This message was written yesterday but due to bugs i can only post it now)
Ok, once again a small update (to show to you that I am still working on it and to oblige me to work :stuck_out_tongue: ).

I added a story mod, and the possibility to add scripts server-side. You have things related to it, like the possibility to activate an item (to pick it or to trigger something else) and some other way to trigger scripts (when the map starts, when something is hit, when you go in an area…). As I did it, the whole “script” part it away from the core, and I could remove it (delete the folder) with only one line to remove in the server (the app state). So, I think I’ll keep this thing and put it in a separated plugin when I’ll have implemented the plugin thing.

Also, I added an inventory (you had one but there was no way to use items or even display them, it was more an inventory like unreal, something you don’t see directly), with a preview a the selected item and the possibility to use items in inventory (actually you have only one usable items (the xii-cola soda can) but it’s really easy to make an item usable).
You also have “useless” things like the cursor (the crosshair) that changes when you look at a pickable/usable item.

(the inventory. RealGame / Code / [c91235] /screens/screen9.png . I try to post my message, then i’ll add links) )

I also found this morning the way to create smooth models and I’ll start an operation to re-smooth correctly all my models. Understand me, they are good in sketchup but blender just messed it and they appeared either flat out or completely smoothed.

I also added a shader that affects the vision when you are low hp. It just make the vision less saturated (everything appears more grey) except for red that becomes more and more saturated. Also, the vision pulse and the side of your vision becomes black. I give you the code (it’s my first shader, please be gentle) so you’ll be able to use it. There is things I don’t like in it. For example, I need to use System.currentTimeMillis cause I didn’t find a good way to have time in the shader (and I need time to make the “pulse” thing. It’s still a W.I.P., I think that I can optimize it, even if I don’t know exactly how).
You can find a zip here ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/realgame/files/libs/damaged.zip/download ) , which contains a test case even if you’ll need to change the package of things (it’s always a big problem for me : I can’t guess anything about the packaging you’ll have when you’ll test things). It’s basically the hello collision + the shader and a loop on the life percent. You also have a red cube in it, so you can see the difference between red things and other things.

This choice of colours (black/red/white) is to match the general theme of my game, like you can see in this picture (that will appear ingame) :

(translation : “don’t worry/be scared xii is watching you”).

I decided to develop the “solo” part, because I think that even if my game is first of all a multiplayer game, I need to have a story mod to attract people (the multiplayer part is here to keep them).

I also started to use external resources, but only for sound and icons (and the picture above, even if I modified it – but it is a creative common where I have the right to modify it), and I always check that I have the right to use it. For this, I started to create a txt file in the asset folder where I list things. I need to update it, but as I change resources often it’s still a bit hard to maintain. I try to be clean here.

EDIT : it seems that i can’t post direct image (this is the reason why my message is removed) so i will, for now, only post links.

1 Like

Ok, i think it’s time to do an other little update and give an insight about what’s coming next.

I worked a lot on the client, and less on the server. And it was something I needed to do, as there was a lot of “opportunities” I had made and that remained unexploited. I also added a lot of stuff like a rocket launcher (which shoots self-propelled homing missiles), and a bomber that drops air-ground mines (stationary homing missile activated when someone is beneath it), and a beacon for it.
For the client, I added some nice “hint”, like an automatic change for the crosshair when you look at an activable item. As I added localization for damages, I implemented a human-silhouette target and I started to create a training room for it. I think I’ll work a lot on this training room, as it will be a nice “hey look what you can find in this game” level. I also added things like the ironsight the zoom, the recoil.
Lastly I give a shot on the “user settings” thing, and you have now an xml file that holds these settings (like keybinding or sensitivity). There is no editor yet, and I think I’ll add a “preferencesModifiedListener” interface, to have a way to take into account modification without a restart. Nothing is sure here.

The plugin part is not here yet, but it’s coming. Actually, I will have a very busy week irl, and it’s why I decided to put a stop on the development for now, for a week. I really want to be able to focus on only the plugin part when I’ll implement it.
But… ok, I started to work a bit on it and I can say that it should goes smoothly. I think that the asset manager is flexible enough for my needs, and I think I’ll be able to extend it if it’s not the case.

And after that, what will come ? Well, I think that the game will reach a point where I will be able to put it in “pre-alpha” state without shame. Except for the model of the player, that I still need to change.

However, I hope that I’ll be able to have a long conversation with lessvoid and tonegod. I am right now using nifty-gui, and I am thinking about a switch for tonegod, even if it implies a lot of modifications client-side. But, I also wonder how relevant it is for a fps-game to be playable on mobile devices. I don’t have an android myself (I even don’t have a mobile phone) but it’s really hard for me to imagine someone playing UT on one of these things. So, I’ll maybe in the end drop nifty and tonegod and just go back to swing or a more handy solution.

You can find a file (about 25 mb) on the page of the project on sourceforge, and you can toy with it if you want. I did it to show it to my family, so it’s absolutly not an official release. You have a read me in the zip (but basically you launch the server with the “java -jar MyGame.jar” and you launch the client with “java -jar MyGame.jar -c”. There is still bugs in it, i know it. Once again, it’s only something i needed to do to show it to my family (it’s the first time i show them my program running).

Ok, i hope to see you soon for an other update. And thanks everyone to make this possible :slight_smile:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/realgame/files/RealGame-demo_intern.zip/download

P.S. : i just found (by checking the creation date of the Main file) that the project started the 10/10/13 at 19:19.