Publish to WIndows Phone using JUniversal?

http://juniversal.org/

I happened to come across this today.I don’t know how promising this is, since this is relatively new. But apparently it can allow for Java apps to be translated over to Windows Phone Apps through code translation and also providing core functionality such as OAuth, JSON, network & file I/O, logging, unit testing, etc. Could this mean the possibility of Jmonkey apps being coming to Windows Phone?

As it’s built on Java then it is naturally cross platform. Jmonkey works perfectly on Windows, OSX, Android and Linux without any effort on your part. The system has built in deployment options.

There is also an IOS plugin which does use cross compiliation to Objective C which works quite well but does need some effort on your part but with enough effort it is possible to run on IOS too.

EDIT
Sorry was refrerring to JME not JUniversal.

The main point of OP is to target Windows Phone, which is not a deployment option for jMonkeyEngine 3 yet. Just a very confusing title, so I edited it.

Upon first glance it does look interesting. Not gonna happen for 3.1 though, and hard to say if any of the core developers are gonna look into it, seeing as no one in the team owns a Windows Phone to my knowledge.

Would be cool if a contributor decides to tinker with this though.

I’ll probably wait a while till this matures a bit before I start dabbling in such black magic

I’ll probably wait a while till this matures a bit before I start dabbling
in such black magic

The Problem is simply the OpenGL Binding.

In theory, this would work in translating the AppStates, etc pp, but the Problem is the interface to the openGL ES Graphics Chip. Each Operating System handles this different, so that breaks the “cross-platform” thing.

Do some Google Research in “Programming OpenGL on Windows Phone”. If you understand how to compile Shaders etc, all you have to do is write a Wrapper for all those “glEnable(), glTranslate4f()…” Methods and you are fine.

Since it’s Micrsoft, chances are, that you won’t find much openGL Tutorials but rather their abandoned Game Engine XNA

Have you taken a look at back2browser? its a project that tries the opposite, let a JVM run in Javascript.
The benefit here would be the ability to use the browsers WEBGL functionality for the gl wrapping.

I haven’t looked into back2browser. It looks very promising, I will look into it and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the tip.

@Momoko_Fan looked at bck2brwsr already (along with DukeScript). Apparently he hit a dead end.

bck2brwsr, TeaVM and GWT are all essentially trying do the same thing, which is to compile Java to JavaScript.
The issue with running jME3 in the browser is that there’s no actual multi-threading support. As you know, we rely on threads for physics, audio, asset loading, etc. so threads are kind of a requirement.

1 Like

Hi,

In fact, our team testing out JME3 abstract on top of another WebGL renderer.

Because Pixi.js share some API similarities with us.

And we also translate part by part of JME3 java code base to Javascript with the help of GWT. Libdgx and PlayN also take the same path i suppose.

Currently there is no Physics and Audio. Because first we just want to focus in a tech demo with Tonegod gui elements and a particle emitter.

In theory, WebGL should work in anything. :smile:

It will be no big deal at all, and why don’t I just write a game in JavaScript anyway. Because I just want to write them in java with Netbean and all the tools we’ve made in the past.

Let’s see if anyone interested in this?

1 Like