Random-generated, first-person dungeon RPG(gameplay video inside!)

Hello everybody,

my last project froze after I got the engine pretty much working because the amount of needed content was too overwhelming. This time I’ll code just the engine and let random-generator deal with everything else!

I’m still in very early stages of the development, just some very basic stuff like opening doors done. I’ll just give you a little sneak peek picture and add more info later.

Edit: Click for larger image

6 Likes

Looking good.

Oooo… cool! Looking forward to hearing about this as it progresses =)

Nice screenshot, it’s already looking very atmospheric and the lighting is nice.

Here’s a representation of the random generator I wrote this evening. Still needs a lot of work though. Walls, doors etc. will be added as soon as possible.

One square in this picture is as big as the room in the previous picture.

1 Like

Do the doors have an opening animation?

Its looking really nice. Did you make those textures? They are amazing!

Thanks. Yes, doors do have opening and closing animation. At the moment everything in the game is done by me.

Two new screens showing the improved map generator.

2 Likes

Wow, can you try to explain how you made the textures?

Hello,

even though I haven’t posted in a while, I’ve been working on the project.

The random map generator is now fully functional. It will generate a map with corridors, rooms, torches and doors. There is also a basic movement, camera, UI, enemy AI and combat system. Check the video below for more details!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgedQqxfjMI[/video]

I’d love to hear your thoughts about it!

2 Likes

love it :slight_smile: reminds me of those old rpg games :slight_smile:

What algorithm do you use for randomly generating the maze?

@pate5 Good job. I generate my levels from images, I try to use fewer vertices when the same texture is used like in this case:
http://gouessej.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/texture_repeat.jpg

Do you already do something similar in your game?

Video is almost completely black for me - barely can see anything. Screenshot before running it is quite bright, but as soon as it runs it is just a sword moving in blackness with occassional thing jumping on it. Looks like gamma got very wrong in video - is it my problem, or everybody sees it like that?

Thanks for your comments!

<cite>@InShadow said:</cite> What algorithm do you use for randomly generating the maze?

I use a simple algorithm I wrote for it. Basicially it starts by generating a room in the middle of the map. Then it marks some tiles as corridor starting points. Then it goes through the map and generates a new corridor for each starting point and marks new starting points for corridors or rooms and repeats until there is no room in the map.

<cite>@gouessej said:</cite> @pate5 Good job. I generate my levels from images, I try to use fewer vertices when the same texture is used like in this case: http://gouessej.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/texture_repeat.jpg

Do you already do something similar in your game?

At the moment I’m using a system where I divide the whole map in chunks, which I optimize using the GeometryBatchFactory and generate physics object for each chunk. Then I do the chunk culling manually.

<cite>@abies said:</cite> Video is almost completely black for me - barely can see anything. Screenshot before running it is quite bright, but as soon as it runs it is just a sword moving in blackness with occassional thing jumping on it. Looks like gamma got very wrong in video - is it my problem, or everybody sees it like that?

I think you’ll need to recalibrate your monitor. It looks okay with both my calibrated monitor, another monitor I tried and my phone screen. It’s pretty dark but still should be very clearly visible.

I’ll keep you updated as the project moves forward!

I am also able to see the video normally … :slight_smile:

@InShadow said: I am also able to see the video normally ... :)

Me, too, for what it’s worth. The “dark with distance” thing is pretty aggressive (and personally I wouldn’t use it for the lights) but the nearby stuff was plenty bright enough.