Re: Gen - The Room

yet another video added: final user interface demonstration

it shows how a few of the ui elements work together. the thing i’m mostly happy about is scaling, it looks sharp at 1x size and 100x size as well. hope you like it.

ok, now that being done, i’m starting to work on the map editor; to finally show how the gameplay actually works.

i think the exact expression i'm looking for is holy crap…

ncomp said:

holy crap....

lol XD

well, i’ve been tweaking and developing the vegetation system for quite a while now (for the benchmark module in the game), so…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCW2SljB14U

criticism is very welcome.

i’m still making changes, so i’ve decided not to release this library right now, and wait 'till i’m happy with it. so far, i’ve made the grass look really good from above as well, not only from the same level as the camera. but there’s a lot more to be done with the wind effects and far-depth detail management (etc. etc.), and i really need to finish a somewhat playable version of the game in less than a week (for the national presentation) so i’m postponing this and working on the gameplay and most important, the map editor, for now.

Looks really nice! :slight_smile:

I think there is some "popping" when you move the camera.

How does this fit with The Room?

:-o

Wow  :-o, Love the grass vid…

it doesn't, the "bush system" is
blue_veek said:

for the benchmark module in the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCW2SljB14U

so that graphics settings are automatically adjusted depending on the performance.
just like half-life 2 had a benchmark thingie which had nothing to do with the game :D

I think there is some "popping" when you move the camera.

that's because the level of detail is adjusted based on the camera location so that the framerate gets really high; i't pretty hard to control right, mostly because of the wind moving the bushes  :D but i'm working on it. the same technique is used in the actual gameplay, where the tiles and faces are combined and their textures multiplied, so that the player sees all the objects drawn, when actually only one is.. (boosts framerate a lot).

but anyway… this is really nice!

using kind of the same technique for forrests might be awsome as well…

blue_veek said:

it doesn't, the "bush system" is
blue_veek said:

for the benchmark module in the game

I dont know about u, that to me would make for an interesting...............surprise level to "fall into"....................err would have anyway...you spoilt it

Would like to peer over your grass code sometime, I'm especially interested in ways of optimising it and incorporating something similar into mapspinner.

Very impressive!  :smiley:

Also: are you going to continue the tutorial on your blog?  :wink: It's great help for a newb like me.

Braintree said:

Also: are you going to continue the tutorial on your blog?  ;) It's great help for a newb like me.

yes, sure, i'm glad it helped :D just after i'm finished presenting Gen later this week i'm going to add some new lessons.

Whats now with this project? Anyone has some info? Blog is down anyway…

Looked really promising…  :expressionless: