Re-organization of jme3 branch, Android support

Porting content from jme1/2 to jme3 is one of the primary reasons, yes. Exactly like normen said.

By the way, the OpenGL ES renderer is becoming more solid… texturing and vbo has been added.

Nice work buddy :)  I put the screenshots in the jME3 gallery and threw up a quick blog post… I just need to talk to Erlend about why it's not showing up on our front page :? http://bit.ly/9rQiNj

I'm happy to learn that JME3 supports Android. I own an HTC Dream with Android 1.5, I will give it a try soon :smiley:

Nice work buddy  I put the screenshots in the jME3 gallery and threw up a quick blog post..

Great! I might put these and more screenshots on gamedev, but I want to first improve the performance on android, 21 fps is hardly satisfactory.

I'm happy to learn that JME3 supports Android. I own an HTC Dream with Android 1.5, I will give it a try soon

Alright, you want to become the official tester then :P ? Because I don't have an android device so I don't know how well will it work there.
Also the improvements made to the OGL ES renderer will be ported back to JOGL, to give desktop full fixed-pipeline gpu support.

This is the best news in weeks for me.

I started learning Java after I heard about the Jmonkey engine, because I believe Browsergames will be the next big thing.

I got my SCJP in November, tried getting into JME in December and kinda dropped it as soon as I heard about the Nexus One, because it just reeks of developing opportunity. I've spent all January loving, hugging and tinkering with my new phone and the moment I start thinking about how to tackle serious development for it, JME3 support is announced.

With the recent ego boost to 3D Browsergames, thanks to Tiger Woods Online, and the huge appeal that Android will have in this year, there will be some rosy times ahead for Jmonkey users.

Dan Fury said:

This is the best news in weeks for me.
I started learning Java after I heard about the Jmonkey engine, because I believe Browsergames will be the next big thing.
I got my SCJP in November, tried getting into JME in December and kinda dropped it as soon as I heard about the Nexus One, because it just reeks of developing opportunity. I've spent all January loving, hugging and tinkering with my new phone and the moment I start thinking about how to tackle serious development for it, JME3 support is announced.

We aim to please :)  I've been doing my tinkering android style since I got word that we were a go for OpenGL ES.. too bad I've got a Win Mobile phone!

Dan Fury said:

With the recent ego boost to 3D Browsergames, thanks to Tiger Woods Online, and the huge appeal that Android will have in this year, there will be some rosy times ahead for Jmonkey users.

::insert joke about professional golfer getting golf clubs thrown at him by angry wife here::  :roll:

I really like to hear about the android efforts. And actually since some month I can't stop to render homage to momoko_fan. Unbelivable how you created all of the jME3 stuff on your own. Very very good job you are doing there…

At the moment I just wait for maybe the next generation of android-phones that might be really useful for game development as well. Did anyone of you ever tested "live-android"? I didn't yet but want to let you know about the project (for sure you know it already):

http://code.google.com/p/live-android/

Keep on rocking…

sbook said:

::insert joke about professional golfer getting golf clubs thrown at him by angry wife here::  :roll:

not quite what u asked for but..........I couldn't resist :D

I've got a G1 and will try it our soon too

Momoko_Fan said:

Porting content from jme1/2 to jme3 is one of the primary reasons, yes. Exactly like normen said.

But this is a "tapering effect" -- meaning that once all of the projects (a great many or a few?) are migrated the naming issue will remain.  New projects will use jME 3.x if there are no overriding reasons to use 1.x or 2.x.  I understand the convenience of being able to use a converter that handles both 2.x and 3.x methods in the same program, but there are also other options to get the same job done while preserving the name of com.jme in the core.
ashtonv said:

But this is a "tapering effect" -- meaning that once all of the projects (a great many or a few?) are migrated the naming issue will remain.  New projects will use jME 3.x if there are no overriding reasons to use 1.x or 2.x.  I understand the convenience of being able to use a converter that handles both 2.x and 3.x methods in the same program, but there are also other options to get the same job done while preserving the name of com.jme in the core.

What would be so bad about using com.jme3 instead of com.jme as package name? Its almost no change and can make many peoples life easier. I dont think its an "issue", I can understand about the com.g3d package name feeling strange, but com.jme3? C'mon :)
normen said:

What would be so bad about using com.jme3 instead of com.jme as package name? Its almost no change and can make many peoples life easier. I dont think its an "issue", I can understand about the com.g3d package name feeling strange, but com.jme3? C'mon :)

That's what a few of us were suggesting :)

So what will it be guys? I guess com.jme is okay, since that can be changed for a model converter… Still I would be honest that I am not a fan. jME3 is completely different beast than jME1/2 and it should be obvious from the package name.

Momoko_Fan said:

So what will it be guys? I guess com.jme is okay, since that can be changed for a model converter.. Still I would be honest that I am not a fan. jME3 is completely different beast than jME1/2 and it should be obvious from the package name.

I would just post a poll and let that be the decider, it looks like its between com.jme, com.jme3, and com.g3d

Actually the package anme is probably the most unimportant thing we can discuss here, jsut do a poll with all suggestions, and tahts it^^. After all in a  year noone will speak about the packagename.

Empire Phoenix said:

Actually the package anme is probably the most unimportant thing we can discuss here, jsut do a poll with all suggestions, and tahts it^^. After all in a  year noone will speak about the packagename.

But we need it. I put up a poll.

New screenshot! Apparently 9 floating spheres isn’t impressive enough, so I decided to run TestSceneLoading on android, and it works quite nicely apart for some texture/alpha issues:

Nice work!  And IIRC, real devices were getting better performance than the emulator, no?

sbook said:

Nice work!  And IIRC, real devices were getting better performance than the emulator, no?

I tried some games on the emulator, I got like less than 1 fps. Not playable. These games run at 30-50 fps on a real devices.
Momoko_Fan said:

sbook said:

I tried some games on the emulator, I got like less than 1 fps. Not playable. These games run at 30-50 fps on a real devices.

Have an APK? I would test it on Hero. :D
Well, i think it's soon time to check the branch out. if only i had more time...