README: SimpleGame

Hey folks,

Another API change which may have an impact on your personal code… SimpleGame has been renamed BaseGame. As Mojo will say “There was nothing simple about SimpleGame.” In its place is a new SimpleGame meant to give new jME users a quick and effortless introduction to jME. Basically, the new SimpleGame takes care of everything for you, all you do is implement “simpleInitGame()” and add your geometry and such to the rootNode. A lightstate is provided with a single pointlight, (you can easily add more by accessing the lightstate field) and the fps and stats display is automatic. The depth buffer is automatically set at CF_LEQUAL. Wireframe mode and the lights may be toggled via T and L respectively.

If needed, the location of the font graphic for the fps display is settable in your main method before creating your game object. Just set SimpleGame.fontLocation. It’s currently set to the one in the jmetest package.

A demo showing how simple (really!) it is to use this new game is jmetest/base/TestSimpleGame.

Wonderful! This is a good example of what I was whinging about in my other post.  Add this to the class comment to help those poor unfortunate souls (ie me!) who want to know how to use this:

SimpleGame takes care of everything for you, all you do is implement "simpleInitGame()" and add your geometry and such to the rootNode.  A lightstate is provided with a single pointlight, (you can easily add more by accessing the lightstate field) and the fps and stats display is automatic.  The depth buffer is automatically set at CF_LEQUAL.  Wireframe mode and the lights may be toggled via T and L respectively.

If needed, the location of the font graphic for the fps display is settable in your main method before creating your game object.  Just set SimpleGame.fontLocation.  It's currently set to the one in the jmetest package.

Ummm…you do realize that you're responding to a post from 2004, right?  :-o

darkfrog

Thanks dude! Checked in with slight modifications :slight_smile:

Should these posts still be sticky? Any one around from back then should know about the changes and any one new should learn then new code while learning about JME, they will not need to know that this charged.  I can list many more dramatic changes since, unless you want a sticky for every change it dose not seance to keep these sticky.

true, although sticky-ing it for a while served a purpose.  un-stuck.