Realtime beautiful grass

just wanted you guys to know that i’ve started a non-shader grass system that sticks to terrains (mainly… but not only), with different levels of detail and reacts to wind etc… i have a really stupid intel integrated gma 945 video card and i get around 80-100 fps (the lens flare, terrain and sky eat some frames per second as well);

i have a few exams coming on, but i’ll try to finish everything as soon as possible:

this is kinda’ how it looks:

that really looks beautiful.

This looks interesting, currently I'm trying to create a shader based grass implementation for my game.  Keep up the good work!  :smiley:

Looks really nice from there. How is it from a bit higher up?

Very beautiful landscape! :slight_smile:

Alric said:

Looks really nice from there. How is it from a bit higher up?

from a bit higher:

and if the terrain is flat:

Jesus Christ  :-o

That's very cool, nice sky too :slight_smile:

You said it wasn't a shader, mind shedding some light on how you went about this?

orelero said:

:D ah, yeah, jme can be really pretty..

Starnick said:

That's very cool, nice sky too :)

You said it wasn't a shader, mind shedding some light on how you went about this?

nothing fancy, the basic straight-forward lots-of-billboards approach (their number depends on the level of detail), with a random set of images, some random coloring, a little smart positioning algorithm, some wind parameters which rotate the quads now and then.. it's all in the little details tweaking that makes it beautiful.. the grass textures i made in photoshop with a free brush tool..
blue_veek said:

orelero said:

:D ah, yeah, jme can be really pretty..

Starnick said:

That's very cool, nice sky too :)

nothing fancy, the basic straight-forward lots-of-billboards approach (their number depends on the level of detail), with a random set of images, some random coloring, a little smart positioning algorithm, some wind parameters which rotate the quads now and then.. it's all in the little details tweaking that makes it beautiful.. the grass textures i made in photoshop with a free brush tool..

Yeah its always the little details that make something like this so uberly awesome ;).
Starnick said:

Yeah its always the little details that make something like this so uberly awesome ;).

well, grass is a small thing, isn't it? :D
EDIT: if it's not bamboo :-o

complete source code in a few weeks.. right now it's completely unusable outside my main project.
blue_veek said:

complete source code in a few weeks.. right now it's completely unusable outside my main project.

Cool can't wait to try it!  :)

Very impressive!

"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why.
Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

xD, so funny and true.

xD

This is looking extremely impressive, can't wait to see it in action.

Really nice!!! Looking forward to see the sourcecode :slight_smile:

jep, this is looking really nice!

How many BillBoards do you have in use for this?

And of course a test would be awsome.

But i'm wondering if this should be put into the ProjectsList… is it a real Project?

Are you planning to create a small API out of that, or is it just some kind of a proof of concept?

keep on…

.:emp...imm0|82:. said:

is it a real Project?
Are you planning to create a small API out of that, or is it just some kind of a proof of concept?
keep on..

it is a project, i shall release it as a complete library.
and it is a project because it's part of a bigger project (which is a project made out of smaller projects) XD

Great work!

Looks better than in most computer games!