Recommend Using Trac

I have just recently started using Trac to manage the Wiki, Bugs, and Feature requests in jSeamless.  So far I think it's amazing what can be done with it.

I would really like to see jME be able to make use of it.

Major features that compelled me to use it:

• Create, query, and modify tickets in Eclipse

• Tightly coupled with Subversion to link checkins with ticket changes

• Generates SVN commit comments for you based on resolved tickets in the commit

• Ability to designate classes and resources that are related to a specific ticket and filter to only show those related resources for the currently active ticket

• Very clean web tool with admin features and virtually all fields can use wiki formatting in tickets

• Ability to tie SVN users to Trac users via a common .htaccess file

There's a ton more provided, but the only major issue would be getting it set up in the first place.  If we aren't using Subversion I wouldn't even bother recommending using it though, so perhaps the first hurdle would be to get us moved over to SVN.

I posted a couple screenshots here:

http://forum.captiveimagination.com/index.php/topic,332.msg2632.html#msg2632

No one has any interest in this?

(damn you IE for crashing and making me retype everything)

OK what I was saying before the crash, is that Trac seems nice if not very mature (but I may be mistaken, never used it…).

Another nice set of tools is JIRA (tracker) / Confluence (Wiki) / Bamboo (Continuous Integration) by Atlassian, all free for open source projects (under certain conditions, which are met by jME).

Add Fisheye by Cenqua (available for projects hosted on java.net) and you have all you should need, tightly integrated and all. Well to be fair, haven’t used it a lot (but I liked it when I did).

I'm planning to look into it for work stuff, but we've been swamped with some production issues around here lately.  We recently made the move to SVN and I have been looking for a good tool to "frontend" SVN and track bugs, etc.  Another group here did some integration work with MediaWiki and Bugzilla but I just want one place to go.  Looks interesting, I just haven't had time to play with it.

What are you using to run your VMs?  Any chance you can make a Trac appliance that I can snag and configure to hit our SVN repository?

Well, one of the big down-sides of Trac currently is that it has to point to a physical repository (no remote repositories allowed).

That being said, Trac beats down the competition by its close coupling with SVN I think.

I have Trac and SVN set up in a CentOS virtual machine using VMware Server…the problem with remote repositories is where you'd run into a problem. :wink:

Could I simply NFS mount the repository folder inside the VM and still let it use the locally installed SVN binaries?  That would give me the ability to leverage my existing install (at least the repository) but run it out of the VM for the sake of testing it out here without the hassle of a full install/configure cycle.

You could purge anything confidential out of your VM before you sent it out if that's a concern.

I'm thinking that might work.  Failing that I'll drop the VM phyically on the same box and mount the filesystem "pseudo-physically" into the VM if NFS has issues.

What ya think?

Drop me an e-mail and we can discuss this further.  I can probably do that, I'll just take one of my nightly snapshots and make changes to it, but it's a 50gig snapshot (compressed it's significantly lower though since much of that is empty space).

The Librarian said:

Another nice set of tools is JIRA (tracker) / Confluence (Wiki) / Bamboo (Continuous Integration) by Atlassian, all free for open source projects (under certain conditions, which are met by jME).
Add Fisheye by Cenqua (available for projects hosted on java.net) and you have all you should need, tightly integrated and all. Well to be fair, haven't used it a lot (but I liked it when I did).

In case anyone is interested, Cenqua has just been purchased by Atlassian, so even tighter integration between their products is to be expected :)