Recommended texture sizes - texture aliasing

I feel it. :’(

Sorry, you were the only one that responded to my diversionary question and I lash back at you.  Blue ones are nice. :wink:

M&M's are lame, viva la Skittles!

Is there a "Skittles" logo on each one of them ? Is it anti-aliased ?

(Notice how I subtly try to put the topic back on track)

I have taken control of this thread, it will not be put back on track until chirstius has a new PC.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you seriously say that Skittles are better than M&Ms Hal?  I just lost a lot of respect for you…I can't imagine the state of someone's taste-buds that would cause such a delusion.  :-o

darkfrog said:

I have taken control of this thread, it will not be put back on track until chirstius has a new PC.  :P

We can reduce the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.  :-o

darkfrog said:

Did you seriously say that Skittles are better than M&Ms Hal?  I just lost a lot of respect for you....I can't imagine the state of someone's taste-buds that would cause such a delusion.  :-o

All I got from that sentence was at some point you had a lot of respect for me  :P 

Also the answer is obvious; sugar!

Ah. Sugar.

Please, Hal (may I call you Hal?), don't give sugar to the darkfrog. You can't give him dried frog pills after to compensate.

The Librarian said:

Ah. Sugar.
Please, Hal (may I call you Hal?), don't give sugar to the darkfrog. You can't give him dried frog pills after to compensate.

You may indeed (or Chris which is actually my name)!  Man, he'd be literally bouncing off the walls.  The only saving grace is the nap time he'd have after!

Man all this talk of Skittles made me crave some.  But the vending machine around the corner didn't have any in, so I had to walk down two flights of stairs and to the other corner of the building just to get some!  :expressionless:

It all comes down to Chocolate vs. Fruity.  I choose CHOCOLATE!  :evil:

Gentleman Hal said:

All I got from that sentence was at some point you had a lot of respect for me  :P 

See, the great thing about respect is I can have a negative amount for someone and still LOSE A LOT. ;)

Holy crap, I leave for one day and this is what happens?!

Crap…we have to get back on topic now.  :stuck_out_tongue:

It's kind of hard to see, your ingame screenshots are JPEGs with an insanely high compression ratio. Way too blocky to say anything about the texture!

Gaheris said:

It's kind of hard to see, your ingame screenshots are JPEGs with an insanely high compression ratio. Way too blocky to say anything about the texture!

I could post the direct PNGs and they look exactly the same.  All I did was size them down (physically) so my free image hosting site would let me upload them.  When I saved them out of photoshop I used the highest (meaning least compressed) quality settings on the resulting JPEGs.  Your description of them looking horrible is exactly the same as mine - that IS how they look IN the game.  Everything is incredibly "blocky".  Look at the MAX shot from above, and look at the in-game shot from above.  Forgetting any visible compression artifacts, the texturing just looks horrible.  Even in the shot behind, note the oval indentations in the MAX rendering, then look at the in-game shot.  Granted it's a different angle, but the blockyness introduced there is not from JPEG compression - you'd see more of it in the hex tiles if it was, and those are nice and smooth - it's something going on in the texture settings of jME.

Still just looks like anti alias settings to me…

MrCoder said:

display.setMinSamples...

can we see a screenshot please, that would really help us pinpoint what's wrong.

Yes, it's time to revive this thread back from the dead.

MrCoder, I tried adding this but it seems to do nothing at all, regardless of which value I set (2,4,8,16).  Does this require usage of "passes"?  Similar to shadows or blooms?  I'm not currently doing anything like that.

I'm working on getting my webserver up and running and once I do I'll post some screenies.  I would have been back to this sooner but my new PC hardware turned out to be a real PITA to get running - but I've noticed a 300fps improvement rendering the same scene I am playing with over my previous setup.  Odd thing is that I didn't replace my vid cards, just mobo, CPU and RAM.

well it has to be set before the display is created, so if you are using simplegame etc you need to set it before simpleinitgame…for example in the main startup like this:

MyApp app = new MyApp ();
        app.setDialogBehaviour(ALWAYS_SHOW_PROPS_DIALOG);
        app.samples = 4;
        app.start();

also, make sure you have your anti-aliasing settings for your gfx card set to application controlled...