Remove OpenGL 1 in jME 3.1? Noooooo!

So working with OpenGL1 isn’t limited when you don’t use OpenGL1… You make less and less sense…

I just will leave it here:

Try reading what I said better and understand where I wanted to arrive.

@Dimalenus Try expressing yourself better and perhaps we’ll actually know what you’re saying.

1 Like

You OpenGL1 users still won’t be able to play the game if it depends on the new features. The gap is just too wide to bridge. If it can be translated to GL1 you don’t need the new features. So you’re right, your game isn’t limited if it doesn’t use GL1.

@Dimalenus, try to read what people say too. OpenGL 2 is NOT equal to GLSL 2. To start with, GLSL was not even a thing before OpenGL 1.4 and was included in OpenGL core only starting from OpenGL2.

What video card?

OpenGL 2 capable cards are only like $10 minimum these days.

Omg this thread is a mess…

@Dimalenus , all computers have an video card, the ones that “dont have” comes with an internal integrated video card with the mainboard. If your computer is only 3 years old, the mainboard probally also is, so it will probally have an 3 old video card also, that probally has support for opengl 2, you maybe are using an older video card in this computer for some reason, but you can take it off and use the mainboard one that probably is better.

About support, I think its an good idea to continue or to give ways to continue, we all know that when we move versions, the old version will die one day so the argument “use 3.0” is not valid, and if there is people that needs opengl 1 for some reason, it should be possible to use in jme. For me, I never needed but I am using jme because of the flexibility, I mean, if one day I need to build an solution to an device that only runs opengl 1, I feel comfortable to say I can do it with jme today, bad to know it will be not true in the future…

Remember, peaple comes to jme because its java and multiplataform, taking it out is stupid, is like to take out the 1000hp engine of your ferrari car and replace for one with 100hp but make the car more fancy, people will not buy it because ifs fancy, will buy it because it has good engine.

I understand how hard is to support the old code, but there is really no way to make an compatible opengl 1 version ? I mean, isnt possible to just comment of put an flat there to re-enable it and recompile ? So people that needs it could enable it and create his own compile for his needs ?

1 Like

OpenGL 1 has NO SHADERS. Repeat. 0 shaders. There is not any support for shaders.

This means a SHADER-BASED engine like JME had to go through SIGNIFICANT pains to map some small subset of JME’s SHADER-BASED materials into parameters for the fixed function pipeline.

JME 3.0 will always be around because internet. Any new features wouldn’t work on OpenGL 1 anyway because it’s NOT SHADER BASED and any new improvements would be SHADER BASED.

So on that old hardware, JME 3.0 will work fine… at least for as long as you can still find drivers for those decade old graphics cards.

4 Likes

What is the video card? Or, what is the computer? Can you provide some specs?
Its entirely possible that OpenGL 2 is supported, but you might not have it enabled.

This thread made me laugh so hard.

@Dimalenus you need to read what people are posting to you. GLSL IS NOT OPENGL, it’s the GL “Shader Library…”

IF ANYONE STILL USES OPENGL 1.0 I WOULD BE AMAZED…

Released in 2004…

released in 2008…

released in 2010… Shall I continue?

So essentially, I would be VERY SURPRISED for anyone to be running anything BELOW 4.0…

Can someone who knows what they are talking about talk about why people would still use anything below OpenGL 4???

What does JMonkey support max 4.3??? Will 3.1 support 4.5(not sure when 4.6 will come out).

I also found this interesting Vulkan (API) - Wikipedia

Apparently this is the “successor” to Open GL? It’s supposed to mix OpenGL and OpenGL-ES into one standard… Isn’t ES just a dumb-down version of OpenGL with less support/features???

Lets hope the OP gets this, and lets get an interesting convo started with this new shizz :slight_smile:

…i will be very careful about this…there is plenty of people using hardware which is not up to OGL4.0 specification, especially laptops…to keep SDK 3.1 compatible with 2.0 and up is in my opinion, very good move…

That’s why I ask, I want to see why someone would use less than 4.0…

4.0 came out in 2008, that’s almost 8 years ago… It would be baffling to me if anyone still had a graphics card from 2008…

My almost 5 year old laptop has this for info, according to the SDK

OpenGL Version: 4.3.0
Renderer: GeForce GT 550M/PCIe/SSE2
GLSL Ver: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

So yeah… I would like to know who would use something older than what I got, but I bet there are some…

But older than 2008…???

It may have come out in 2008 but still not all cards have the specs to run it. Intel has some chipset that’s still around that doesn’t even run OpenGL 2. Though thankfully I was finally seeing posts about that less and less on my forums. (Note: as I recall it’s an embedded chipset on older computers so a 3 year old machine would not have one of these)

The point is that even though version 4 was out, cards were still being produced without it for a long time. Maybe even still, I haven’t looked.

Good point I guess, but it should have caught up within the year or so…

Why would there be a chipset that doesn’t run OpenGL 2… How damn old is that >(…

It sounds like these are people who are trying to do things with older stuff… People like us who like to do stuff with older hardware…

But still how many “consumers” would have less than 4?

I doubt that there is anything with less than 4.0 on it, not sure why it would have anything less than the newest anyways…

I highly doubt that anything produced now would not have the latest specs, even if it came with an older version out of the box…

Thanks for the comments, thoughts?

Well, 4 necessarily requires some programmability and flexibility that a chipset may not have (geometry/tesselation shaders, etc). I don’t know of any chipsets today that can’t at least run 2 but remember they had to support programmability to do that because: shaders.

So it essentially is up to the companies if they want to program support for these cool things into their cards for us… :stuck_out_tongue:

Higher versions of OpenGL require fancier hardware to even run without emulation. The big change was from 1 to 2 because of shaders.

And that’s the other point, JME can pretty easily support different versions post-shaders because it is a shader-based engine. Supporting the pre-shader versions of OpenGL requires special ugly backflips and dirties up nearly every part of the core engine and the default materials.

intel integrated has no full opengl 4.0, but they have 3 somewhat, also the linux opensource drivers have not full support for 4 yet.

For sure, I figured the hardware would be upgraded over time though.

For sure about the Shaders, I just wasn’t sure if there was other stuff that caused issues with previous versions… I guess the biggest thing was the GLSL huh?

Thanks.

Hmm… I guess that makes sense kind of… (intel slacking), and Linux… welll… It’s Linux :stuck_out_tongue: .

but yeah, surprising stuff it seems…