Render resolution and scaling?

Is there a way to define the resolution you would like to render at and allow application scaling?

I’m interested in rendering at a lower resolution than the screen size on my tablet and then scale it. I see this being done by other applications and wondered if we have this option available to us? And how one goes about doing this…

Thanks in advance!

Oh… guess I should explain why… though, it’s probably self-explanatory…

The screen res of my tablet is quite large and the requirements for the game I am playing with doesn’t require this amount of detail. I’m losing performance every frame just due to the resolution being rendered. I’d love to avoid this!

An easy, dirty solution would be to cull the scene from the main render, and add a post process filter that renders the scene at a lower res (down sampling) and displays it at the the screen’s res. You could chain this with the FXAA filter to smooth the edges.

I can’t help but feel there is probably an inbuilt openGL way to do this though.

EDIT: filters probably don’t work with android ? not sure, I don’t do any droid dev.

@thetoucher said: An easy, dirty solution would be to cull the scene from the main render, and add a post process filter that renders the scene at a lower res (down sampling) and displays it at the the screen's res. You could chain this with the FXAA filter to smooth the edges.

I can’t help but feel there is probably an inbuilt openGL way to do this though.

EDIT: filters probably don’t work with android ? not sure, I don’t do any droid dev.

Yeah, Filters don’t run as far as I know =( Thanks though. Would have worked well!

hrmm, I think I was totally overthinking this… http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/settings-setresolution-does-not-work-on-android/ may point to a solution.

Yeah I remember Eric had done something like that