Render to/behind Desktop?

Hi,

I’m still beginning with jME, but jsut wondered whether anyone knows if it’s possible to render the output to the Desktop? (particularly Windows).

I realise that if it is possible, it probably wouldn’t be cross-platform, but oh well! :wink:

I don’t mind if it renders on top of, or behind icons - just if (and more importantly HOW :? ) it could be done. I’ve been searching the net for similar Java/OpenGL solutions, not found anything yet.

Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers, :smiley:

Paul.

what do you mean "render to a desktop"?

Do you mean the background?

Um… Yes? :?

I mean the desktop in windows, which could be refered to as the background. Ideally what I would like to do is to be able to make a Program that renders on top of the Icons & current desktop in Windows, BUT to allow other windows/programs to still display on top if My Program.

Basically I want to make a 3D desktop application that “replaces” Windows’ current backgroung + icons with my own 3D desktop.

(Hopefully this makes some sort of sense! :wink: )

so you want to make a project like "Looking Glass" ?

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to describe. I would just like some suggestions on how I could achieve that result using this framework (+ other Java ones I guess). Please.

I don’t know of a way to do this, we simply render to the context supplied by LWJGL which is a window context. We also can render to a pbuffer. I don’t know of a way to render to the wallpaper. The LWJGL folks might be able to answer this more than we can.

OK then…

(asking an even sillier question here!.. :// )

Dya think I can get this result by creating a “frameless” window as the output and have it’s top-left to the monitor’s top-left, then it’s bottom-right at the monitor’s far-right BUT not overlapping the task bar?

Are there Java/ways to get the current (e.g. in desktop mode) Width, and Height (with/without) task bar?

Thanks again for your help with this!

Same answer there I guess. LWJGL is supplying the window so to alter it you should check out LWJGL. Might be difficult to find out how large the task bar is but the rest should be easy.

Thanks. :slight_smile: Will see what LWJGL site can tell me.

hrm… that was me :slight_smile:

Cheers for the tip Per. Will scope out JNI, my main trouble at the mo is figuring out how to hack jME or LWJGL to force the rendering window to the back of the “Z-order” (so it’s behind all other windows - and for it to stay there!)

I may have bitten off more than I can chew as a first project in jME/LWJGL - eek 8-O