Rendering boats with Simple Water

Well, unless I or anyone else comes up with a good solution, I’ll probably have to do something that looks odd in various cases. I can think of a couple of solutions that may be “good enough”

Also, @prog, I have much more planned than Minecraft with realistic water.

A stencil buffer could help, you could mask the inside of a boat with it and have the water effect not render there.

Putting my money on the stencil buffer. Make the inside of the boat “anti-water” material, hence logically, anywhere you see the inside of a boat you cannot see water. The situation with the window would be a tad more complicated though.

@Perjin, @Momoko_Fan
I can’t seem to find any documentation on the Stencil Buffer? Is there a hard to find wiki page or something? Everything I can find is only brief explanations for other game engines.

[quote=“john01dav, post:24, topic:35062, full:true”]
@Perjin, @Momoko_FanI can’t seem to find any documentation on the Stencil Buffer? Is there a hard to find wiki page or something? Everything I can find is only brief explanations for other game engines.
[/quote] +1, I have wanted/need this info several times now

I haven’t needed it yet but my recollection is the SimpleWater uses the stencil buffer… so that’s what I’d look at if I ever needed to know how to do it.

Unfortunately there’s no documentation about it. Its not used by any engine features or tests.

Best to learn about it outside of jME, i.e. generic DirectX / OpenGL tutorials.