REPORT: All hub.jmonkeyengine.org website issues

@jmonkeyengine I’d like to collect all website issues in one thread for the time being. Larger issues like “I hate the new site and this is why” should have their own threads.

1 Like

#1:

I read in the chat that Lars’ SpiderMonkey thread had somehow gotten sort of messed up:

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/development-discussion-jme3/forum/topic/spidermonkey-jme3-networking-system/

#2:

Some quotes, like:

Quote:
(... )

Have not been rewritten yet to:
Momoko_Fan said (...)

#3:
"Latest Topics" is quite confusing. It took me quite a while to figure out that on Home and some other places it will display latest threads, while when browsing forum posts and the like, it will display latest replies.
I'd rather it displayed latest replies exclusively.
> I'll see if this is a plugin setting or if code has to be edited.

#4:
Forum Index is not very "oversightly"
> There are a couple different solutions to consider, but the general goal is to improve readability, and get through conversations as efficiently as we did with SMF.

I love the latest topics context sensitivity, you can see a users posts on his members page, only see the latest posts of the project you’re interested in…

normen said:
I love the latest topics context sensitivity, you can see a users posts on his members page, only see the latest posts of the project you're interested in..
I suppose it has its uses, but I'm still confused as hell about what I'm actually looking at. It would be a major improvement if the plugin added a note like "Now displaying latests topics for {context}"

It displays either all topics (home/forum root), the topics of the current group or the topics of the current member. Whats confusing (and a bug really) is that the sticky posts are also sticky in the view :confused:

Something I consider a bug: When you select “my topics” in the main forum view and then go to a group forum you only see your posts as well. Thats confusing…

I’d call this a bug but it really falls under the usability heading… I was trying to create a new topic in the [also new[ Betaville group last night and kept getting a page that said “are you sure you want to do this?”. The only indication that this was an error was that the page’s title that shows up in the browser bar was something like “WP Error”. Completely cryptic. It turned out that I was logged out (I guess I timed out) even though the right sidebar showed my named and had the ‘log out’ button accessible. It took two or three refreshes to reflect that I was logged out, very weid…

sbook said:
It turned out that I was logged out (I guess I timed out) even though the right sidebar showed my named and had the 'log out' button accessible. It took two or three refreshes to reflect that I was logged out, very weid..

I guess thats caching at work here. For logged-out users the whole site is being served from cache. Maybe we can turn that off when we got PHP opcode caching working.

Also when I go to SpiderMonkey project forums, Skye’s post about BetaVille pops up. The problem you had, Skye, probably caused this. Weird stuff.

Levia said:
Also when I go to SpiderMonkey project forums, Skye's post about BetaVille pops up. The problem you had, Skye, probably caused this. Weird stuff.

Creepy, could it have to do with tags?

The messed up groups/forums situation should be fixed now, was a quirk in the database originating from some experiments I guess. I had to disable the forum in SpiderMonkey group. You should be able to reenable it.

1 Like

Good stuff!

Now, next up in the queue is something I’m just noticing in my phone’s browser… is it possible to make rollover menus work for mobile?

They work on my iPad/iPhone. I click once, they unfold I click a second time and I get to the destination :slight_smile:

feature request : links in a post should open the target page in a new tab/window

Is there an equivalent to the “View all unread posts” that existed in SMF?

Also, what’s with the little smiley in the bottom left corner of the page?! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No, atm there is no such thing as “all unread posts” in buddypress. I installed a very simple plugin that marks the last 200 posts you have read (the little “scrap’o’paper” before every post), but you cannot set “all read” or something. Still, for me it works well when I load hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forums (click directly on “Forums” in the menu) and can look at all latest posts with this info.

The smiley is used for stats counting, no worries :wink:

Cheers,

Normen

InfernoZeus said:
Is there an equivalent to the "View all unread posts" that existed in SMF?

Also, what's with the little smiley in the bottom left corner of the page?! :P
Unfortunately the ever so neat 'unread posts' feature is not available yet. Get in touch if you feel like making a plugin for it though ;) In the meantime, you'll notice that unread topics will at least display with a colored icon next to it.

Is there a simple way to set witha simple notify me butto or similar about wich threads you want email responses?

As currently I have like 10+ meessages in my mail when I check it, often much for the same topic, is it possible to only send one notification and only new ones when you looked at it in between?

You can follow single threads when you have joined that group, just press “follow this topic”. As for the notification frequency etc, you can configure that via the top bar menu when you are in a forum. My Account → Groups → Email Options.

Hope this helps,

Normen

InfernoZeus said:
Is there an equivalent to the "View all unread posts" that existed in SMF?

seconded....